Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Chainsaw -recommendations for idiot proof one please  (Read 9672 times)

Wendelspanswick

• Joined Nov 2013
Re: Chainsaw -recommendations for idiot proof one please
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2013, 07:17:38 pm »
I'll just add don't overlook the McCulloch range - they're manufactured by Husqvarna and they're reasonably priced I bought the 14 inch CS340 a few months ago (Amazon), am very pleased with it as it's not too heavy, and has done everything I've needed so far.

I'll also second the views regarding PPE - absolutely vital - you don't get second chances with a  chainsaw .

I would disagree with the McCulloch recommendation, my father in law asked me to have a look at his 2 year old McMulloch chainsaw as the chain brake would not latch off, he was using it with one hand holding the lever in!  I found the plastic moulding had distorted beyond repair and I spent a fruitless 2 weeks trying to find someone who stocks spares.  I have told my FIL to bin it but he refuses!
Conversely the choke lever snapped on my 20 year old Husky and within 48hrs I had a replacement for £18 including postage. The first time anything had failed (apart from pullcords) on either of my 2 Husky's.

spandit

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
    • Sussex Forest Garden
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2013, 08:15:51 pm »
I've got a Stihl MS181 and apart from the top cover coming loose, it's a fine machine. With a 14" bar you can technically cross cut 28" but felling anything large is a job for the professionals. Try lifting a 6" log that's 10' long - they're heavy and not to be taken lightly, pardon the pun.

As mentioned, get some PPE, at a minimum chainsaw trousers and a visor (with hearing protection). I wear gloves but they're more to protect my hands from handling the logs (they're sturdy leather ones, not chainsaw ones - if you are using a saw properly your hands should not be in danger). There are some excellent instruction videos on YouTube if you can't or won't get any formal tuition
sussexforestgarden.blogspot.co.uk

Small Farmer

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2013, 08:37:12 pm »
It's nearly 40 years since I started using saws (anyone else remember the Danarm with coil spring mounts?) and my respect for their hazards remains undiminished. 

It's a cracked record but I've only ever used husqvarna and stihl saws and Oregon chain.  There's too much nasty that can happen when something breaks to take any risks.  Saw chain runs at around 20m/s from memory and makes a very messy injury as it cuts a groove rather than a slice.

Safety has improved dramatically with chain brakes and low-kick chains alongside far better PPE.  Professional saws with more power can drive a beefier chain (0.063" against 0.058" or 0.050") and with different links that accommodate the power but at the expense of kick-back.  So I'd fell with a heavier saw than I'd use for  snedding.

I've never used a saw up a tree.  Plain bloody dangerous. There are single handed ones made for light work, others need roping and a load of technical safety kit that I've never wanted to learn how to use.
Being certain just means you haven't got all the facts

spandit

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
    • Sussex Forest Garden
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2013, 07:54:17 am »
You can't buy a single handed chainsaw without a ticket, for good reason
sussexforestgarden.blogspot.co.uk

Graemscifi

• Joined Nov 2013
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2013, 03:23:00 pm »
i recently replaced my old machita chainsaw with an electric one. i only use it within extension cord distance of the yard, the new machine was less than half the cost to buy, runing costs are drasticly less,  it is lighter has  less vibration and is easier to use. in my opinion its very nearly as powerfull. just a thought

MikeM

• Joined Jul 2011
  • NW Devon
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2013, 10:14:41 am »
when I was in forestry we used husky's and stihls. Mostly husky's cos they had more up to date H&S information (things like vibration allowances and all that), we all preferred the stihls though as they seemed more reliable and easier to service.
My personal chainsaw is a mculloch, and based on using it for 3 years now I totally recommend stihl. The mculloch is OK, but it's a bit of a pain to use, has a weird starting procedure and some of the parts are a bit fragile (already had to replace the chain brake, several lengths of fuel pipe etc).

Drummournie

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Cawdor - Nairnshire
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2013, 08:46:19 pm »
 For my small place I bought a stihl ms181. It's a cracking saw, easy to use and easy to maintain / sharpen. Trousers, helmet with eye and ear protection, boots and gloves are essential. Don't even think about using the saw without them on. I own both shotguns / firearms and still consider the chainsaw by far the most dangerous thing I use. As the precious poster mentions, my respect for the risk they pose remain undiminished too but with confidence and experience it's a very capable tool to have at your disposal.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2013, 06:46:16 am »
An electric Stihl in the local shop was €250. 1800 Watts with a 35cm bar. Picked it up and it weighs very little, perhaps 3Kg. So when my Black and Decker fails (won't be long now) that will replace it.

I've always thought shotguns very safe tools to use. The most dangerous tools I have are a chainsaw and a double edged bill hook in my opinion. Operating any tool when it has been poorly maintained or you are tired or wet and without PPE is a recipe for disaster.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS