Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: hello from Lancashire  (Read 1874 times)

paddy1200

• Joined Dec 2013
hello from Lancashire
« on: December 15, 2013, 12:43:03 am »
Hi everybody. Long story short............ Have just built a house on the in laws farm. They used to have a dairy herd but retired some time ago, selling off most of the land except for 20 acres and 10 acres broad leaf woods. I'm thinking of trying to make a go of the land but not sure what to do. Any suggestions welcome (polite). But mainly posting to say hello and maybe meet up with others of the same mind. Near to Clitheroe in the Ribble Valley. :wave:

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
Re: hello from Lancashire
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2013, 12:57:10 am »
Hi and welcome from just over the border, I sometimes come over to the mart at Silverwoods, can't give advice on which way to go, theres so many options I'm still stood still trying to decide on mine, apart from my goats, geese and hens. Exciting times and a learning curve ahead for you?
Are you thinking stock or growing veg etc?

Somewhere_by_the_river

• Joined Dec 2013
  • Near Llandeilo
    • Angela French Graphite Artist
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2013, 03:45:32 pm »
Hello and welcome!

We're new too, so wanted to say 'hi' and hoping to 'meet' more like-minded people.

We've a friend who has a farm that's gone organic in the past few years. A lot of the land was 'farmed out' (so to speak), but they are starting to do more themselves and really love the land - you can see the difference already. Don't neglect the woods - I think he's onto a winner by looking at not only doing the best by the trees, but in utilising them too. He's considering firewood supply (a lot of thinning out required to rejuvenate), hazel for gardeners/fencing, as well as using his considerable (self-taught) carpentry skills. Not to mention the wildlife...

Basically, what skills do you have, what do you think you'd gain most from (personally as well as financially) and what is there a market for in your area? Don't forget that you and yours factor in too - whatever makes you most happy!  :)

Angela and Jon

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2013, 09:50:32 pm »
 :wave: and welcome from Shropshire.

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2013, 09:57:26 pm »
hello Paddy, we're near Skipton - so not too far from you.  What do you fancy doing? sheep/cows/hens/pigs??

Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2013, 10:24:18 pm »
Hello from Peak District!!  I visit the market at Clitheroe, so not too far away.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2013, 07:25:33 am »
Hello and welcome to the forum from Carmarthenshire  :wave:
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2013, 08:34:13 am »
Hi and welcome  :wave:

What do you want your smallholding to be? A living, a paying / non-paying hobby or a lifestyle?

mickgil

• Joined Dec 2013
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2013, 08:04:00 pm »
Welcome to the site

paddy1200

• Joined Dec 2013
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2013, 12:09:22 am »
Sorry, have been away for the weekend 8)
The land is pasture at the moment and needs some work on the drainage. Woods need attention, enough fallen stuff to keep us going for a couple of years! Then we need to get the rhodedendrums under control. Currently the land is rented out to a chap who keeps sheep on it and he had a fair crop of haylage off it in the summer. I don't expect to make a living off it but would like an income, however small, to supplement my wages. Probably need sheep which are pretty hardy or maybe bring on some store cattle, have a big barn and old dairy building.
Thanks for the welcomes :farmer:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS