Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Recent forum spam  (Read 159461 times)

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
Recent forum spam
« on: November 23, 2013, 09:29:27 am »
Over the last couple of days we've been experiencing a rash of spam registrations. These haven't followed any clear pattern so have been difficult to stop automatically, so sorry for any dodgy or incongruous posts you may have seen!

We've put in place some additional protection which will hopefully slow them for now (we'll never stop them), and this morning have deleted about 100 newly registered accounts that were either spamming or clearly future spammers.

If you see spam and have the will please report it using the 'report to moderator' link alongside the post. We do check all new registrations but sometimes they slip through the net.  :(

Thanks,

Dan

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
Re: Recent forum spam
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 10:34:39 am »
Maybe you need a verification step that changes for each registration, like a captcha image (although they are the most horridly annoying things I know :)), or a large pool of questions picked at random.

Dan

• Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 10:44:06 am »
Maybe you need a verification step that changes for each registration, like a captcha image (although they are the most horridly annoying things I know :) ), or a large pool of questions picked at random.

That's already in place, but the questions definitely needed refreshing, thanks!

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 10:52:54 am »
What makes the question change? I tried refreshing the registration page and the question didn't update.  I also tried from another PC (with same IP) and I got the same question...

Dan

• Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 11:52:02 am »
What makes the question change? I tried refreshing the registration page and the question didn't update.  I also tried from another PC (with same IP) and I got the same question...

It's supposed to be a random selection from the question list, but I'll need to check if it's stored in the session or not. I've just tested it and am seeing the same as you - bananas all the way. There are only 2 questions at the moment (more to be added) but it looks like there's an issue.

Will investigate, thanks for the heads-up. :thumbsup:

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, 12:02:43 pm »
No problem-o, we have the same endless problem fighting spammers.  If only these bright people would expend their efforts doing something more worthwhile then perhaps the world would be a better place!!  ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS