Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: planning for first year - all advice welcomed  (Read 5957 times)

Thyme

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Machynlleth, Powys
planning for first year - all advice welcomed
« on: December 12, 2013, 02:02:11 pm »
We take possession at completion tomorrow so I'm working to come up with a sensible plan for managing the land in the first year.  For livestock, I'm interested in starting with a small number of Ryelands, maybe 5, with the intent to add a couple of native breed cows and a couple of horses in 2015 if all goes well.  Plus chickens but they can go in the orchard so don't need to be part of the planning for how to manage the grazing land.  The satellite pic below shows the grassland to be managed, split into the most natural divisions.

Areas 1 & 2 have been actively managed as grazing.  They were cropped for hay over the summer and then had sheep in until last week.  Right now there's low fencing and hedges only around the outside perimeter, with cattle grids in the road (no real gate).  Area 3 has been treated as extended garden grounds and I'm not sure what shape fencing is in (will know more after tomorrow), and there might be some risk of plants that aren't good for stock.  Area 3 also has a stream cutting across the top bit, and a little pond above that, and can be a little boggy near the pond, although I don't yet know how much so, and possibly fixable with a bit of drainage work.

My very tentative plan is to put the sheep in Area 3 to start, after I sort out the fencing and after I see what comes up in the spring and remove any problem plants, and to let Areas 1 & 2 grow for hay again, which I can store for the following year. 

Questions:

1. Does this sound like a sensible plan overall?

2. What about grazing rotation, both in the first year and if I do get cows and horses in the following year?

3. What would be the most sensible plan for fencing, in terms of dividing up the space?  Fence off each of the areas below, or subdivide them more? 

Very grateful for all advice, comments, critique, etc!

Shetland sheep, Copper Marans chickens, Miniature Silver Appleyard ducks, and ginger cats.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: planning for first year - all advice welcomed
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 02:04:37 pm »
Ooh, what a great tool. Where did you find that?

Thyme

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Machynlleth, Powys
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 02:07:08 pm »
I know, right?  It's at http://mon-ip.awardspace.com/land_measure/# - totally free and convenient  :D
Shetland sheep, Copper Marans chickens, Miniature Silver Appleyard ducks, and ginger cats.

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 02:09:27 pm »
no idea on stock management, but the place looks really awesome, good luck.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2013, 02:29:12 pm »
I know, right?  It's at http://mon-ip.awardspace.com/land_measure/# - totally free and convenient  :D

Thank you  :)

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2013, 05:55:43 pm »
To be honest, your proposed number of livestock sounds like too much for that area of land. Horses and cows need a lot of grazing and you could find yourself with very little grass and spending a fortune on supplementary feed.

Also you mention some of the land being boggy - cattle and horse will quickly turn this into a quagmire. We have one boggy field and I can only put the horses in for a very limited period when it is very dry otherwise it is a mud bath.

I think getting the sheep first is a good idea. Spend at least a year observing the fields, what is wet or dry, when the grass starts growing in the spring / summer. Take note of the weather and temperature as that will all affect the growth of the grass. You will then be in a better to position to make a decision on what will work on your piece of land.

If your sheep will respect electric fencing it would be a good idea to still practice some rotation of the grazing in the first year to avoid problems with parasite build up. Once you get horses put them on any area first then follow them with the sheep. Horses are very fussy eaters but the sheep will clear all the areas that the horses leave.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Thyme

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Machynlleth, Powys
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2013, 07:03:05 pm »
To be honest, your proposed number of livestock sounds like too much for that area of land. Horses and cows need a lot of grazing and you could find yourself with very little grass and spending a fortune on supplementary feed.

Thanks, honesty is what I'm looking for.  My goal was 2 horses, 2 cows, 5 sheep, all smaller native breeds.  On paper that seemed doable in 5.5 acres, but of course theory is one thing, practice is another!  I do have barn space and can manage some supplementary feed, but I want to make sure to keep the grazing in good condition. 

Also you mention some of the land being boggy - cattle and horse will quickly turn this into a quagmire. We have one boggy field and I can only put the horses in for a very limited period when it is very dry otherwise it is a mud bath.

Understood.  The only boggy bit is in a portion of Area 3;  Area 1 and Area 2 are well drained.  I'm trying to figure out what that means for a grazing rotation if part of the grazing is only for sheep (figuring Ryelands are light and easy on the ground).

I think getting the sheep first is a good idea. Spend at least a year observing the fields, what is wet or dry, when the grass starts growing in the spring / summer. Take note of the weather and temperature as that will all affect the growth of the grass. You will then be in a better to position to make a decision on what will work on your piece of land.

Definitely sensible advice, thanks!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2013, 02:31:41 pm »
If your area 1 and 2 had sheep on until now, you want to leave it empty for a year (or let for grazing with cows next year (after taking off a hay crop) -maybe a few heifers for late summer grazing).

But I would think fencing is your highest (and probably most expensive) priority.

I wouldn't think Ryelands are particularly light and easy on the ground (I may be corrected on that one, I don't keep them) - but they are quite big sheep! If you want light - think along the lines of Shetlands or similar small-bodied sheep (Shetlands are also one of the easy lambing ones - IMO one of the best choices for the "trainee" shepherd).  And no - they are not flighty.

Storing hay for a full year will not really make it palatable for livestock, You could probably sell the hay (or haylage) to the person renting for their cattle (and get them to bale it) and use the "spare" cash to do some more basic groundwork. That's what we did for the first two years before we got our sheep/goats.

We started off with pigs actually...

Thyme

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Machynlleth, Powys
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2013, 12:15:57 pm »
If your area 1 and 2 had sheep on until now, you want to leave it empty for a year (or let for grazing with cows next year (after taking off a hay crop) -maybe a few heifers for late summer grazing).

Yes, that makes sense.  I need to properly meet the neighbours and see who might be interested in what in the local area.  From what I've seen so far it is very much all large scale sheep farming, I haven't spotted a single cow or horse in a field yet.  So I might be the odd one out trying for a grazing rotation, but we shall see.  I'm told that my closest neighbours, who own most of the surrounding land, are just about to go back to managing it themselves after having rented it out for a long time (the family head was widowed very young and her son and his partner have decided they are now ready to take it on).  They seem to be lovely people, since sorting out the title issues required their help and they gave it generously, so I'm looking forward to getting to know them and learning more of what they plan.

But I would think fencing is your highest (and probably most expensive) priority.

Yes, I expect so!

I wouldn't think Ryelands are particularly light and easy on the ground (I may be corrected on that one, I don't keep them) - but they are quite big sheep! If you want light - think along the lines of Shetlands or similar small-bodied sheep (Shetlands are also one of the easy lambing ones - IMO one of the best choices for the "trainee" shepherd).  And no - they are not flighty.

I've met Rosemary and Dan's Ryelands (http://www.rosedeanryelands.co.uk/ryeland-sheep) and they are pretty small -- thus the attraction for me since I'm reasonably confident I can win a wrestling match with one when necessary  :fc: :thinking:

Thanks for the advice!   

ScribbleUk

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2013, 12:01:44 pm »
Based on our own experience, I think my advice would be do as little as possible in the first year!  This allows you to settle in, learn the microclimate you're living in through each season and refine your priorities.

We thought we knew how we wanted everything laid out when we moved in, but over a year later very little of the original concept remains.  It hasn't cost us a major expense, but it will do in time and effort to relocate various structures, change fencing, run water to new locations, etc.  You especially want to watch for frost pockets if you're growing anything, seasonal water logging if you keep livestock, and general provision of services and access. 

Stellan Vert

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2013, 01:00:35 pm »
Hi

I'm with ScribbleUk.

We moved in a year ago, everyone advised that we waited at least a year before we did anything major, learn about the patch first.

At the time I thought I want to get on with it, but with hind sight I am glad we did not get animals as I have had to do hedging and fencing, timber clearance, we have grown potatoes and taken a hay cut but the last 12 months have been a learning about our land.

Have fun, dont make anything a chore :innocent:

SV

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS