Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: New barn build  (Read 4834 times)

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
New barn build
« on: November 13, 2013, 07:17:19 pm »
What's your thoughts folks

Thinking of erecting barn for housing of goats/feed store/ shed for machinery

Spoken with planning dept and hopefully will get things moving in new year

What material would you use for main structure

Wooden, breeze block, kingspan metal

Any useful pointers appreciated
Cheers mojo
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: New barn build
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 09:59:51 pm »
How big are you looking at?

Location wise, what weather issues are the main ones?

Any planning restrictions? Eg national park, conservation area?

Is the storage more important or the livestock housing?

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 06:51:15 am »
Hopefully approx measurements 80' x 20'

Planning guy appeared positive and has advised us to position back to back with neighbours outbuildings. The neighbours building will shelter it from the north winds. I am just down east coast from you at arbroath about 5 miles inland.

We currently don't have any outside storage at all apart from 5 horse box bodies. We were always under the impression that we would not get pp for this area of ground, however someone has objected to the hbb and the enforcement officer has visited and we need to remove them. However , whoever has made the objection has done us one massive favour as planning are viewing it very sympathetically and we are hopeful of gaining pp. so  :fc: and full steam ahead but I need to decide what materials to use before we go any further.

Storage important to oh , goat housing my priority
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 06:55:57 am by mojocafa »
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

MelRice

• Joined Jun 2011
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 06:56:24 am »
Over here barns are the PERFECT place for a solar roof. There was one built just down the road from me to put catering vans/trailers in. the design was as much to maximise solar panel surface as for indoor space, so it looks like a huge metal wedge shape rather than a box. Its something to think about.

My old wooden barn would love some magic fairy to offer to put a huge solar roof over it but all the financial help is in the form of tax breaks and we dont pay tax so it cant help us

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 02:33:42 pm »
Hopefully approx measurements 80' x 20'

Planning guy appeared positive and has advised us to position back to back with neighbours outbuildings. The neighbours building will shelter it from the north winds. I am just down east coast from you at arbroath about 5 miles inland.

We currently don't have any outside storage at all apart from 5 horse box bodies. We were always under the impression that we would not get pp for this area of ground, however someone has objected to the hbb and the enforcement officer has visited and we need to remove them. However , whoever has made the objection has done us one massive favour as planning are viewing it very sympathetically and we are hopeful of gaining pp. so  :fc: and full steam ahead but I need to decide what materials to use before we go any further.

Storage important to oh , goat housing my priority

It's ever been the case that removal of an eyesore is a huge lever to get PP for something lovely and neat to replace it so it's good the planners are following that logic!

Does it need to be completely enclosed like a portal frame metal shed, or could you go for something like the Farmplus wooden ones which have one open side, they look good (altho I prefer ones with gale slats at the top of the back wall). With the long narrow shape you are looking at, wood would be an option and I prefer it as I think it is better for livestock housing. Also simpler to erect if you decide to DIY that to bring down costs, which would be tricky with a metal shed.

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 02:51:58 pm »
Thank you for introducing me to farm plus, just googled and that's given me some ideas

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2013, 05:14:57 pm »
Thank you for introducing me to farm plus, just googled and that's given me some ideas

We're considering one of them too, for hay and small machinery storage, but ive had to sit on my hands, we have to finish the house restoration before any more animal stuff :-)

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2013, 06:42:43 pm »
We are building one just now - getting the concrete base poured next week if the weather is good, it'll have the same purpose as your's will mojo and the base is a size 18m x 6m so approx size with yours more or less.  Timber frame is the way to go if you want it up quick, we're getting a joiner in to put up the main frame and the roof trusses and then we're doing the rest.  That way it shouldn't cost much more than £5k including materials.  Saying that we haven't designed exactly what it's going to look like yet, we just want the base in before the bad weather starts (shhhhh......) and then we'll do the rest in the spring, unless my OH has a must do moment.  Timber frame is super quick and looks nice, we're fussy architects so don't do the commercial farm building thing, it's beside listed buildings here so we want something that looks fitting. Would be interesting to know what you will pay for that, a near neighbour paid something like £8k for a big big size, concrete block base, timber top and tin roof, quite reasonable I thought.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS