Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Feeding problem??  (Read 3362 times)

misscbr

• Joined Sep 2013
Feeding problem??
« on: October 28, 2013, 09:07:41 pm »
Hi,
Hope someone can help me out here. I have now added 4 pigs to my wee small holding but am sooooo confused about how much to feed them!!! I have 2 Berkshire x old spot weighing in at around 50kg and 2 Kune Kune at around 28kg all 4 will be for the freezer and are about 10-12weeks old. I have read it goes on age as to how much you feed them but does this go for the different breeds as my 2 sets of boys are the same age but certainly weigh in at different weights. Please help I don't want fat pigs!!

Eastling

• Joined Oct 2010
Re: Feeding problem??
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 07:29:49 am »
Hi
I give a lb of food for every month of age up until 6 months of age, divided into two meals. You can adjust the amount of food given by looking and feeling the individual pig.

I feed about 5lbs of feed daily to mine.
Labradors leave foot prints on your heart as well as your clothes

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 08:35:28 am »
Are you sure they're 50kg at 10-12 weeks? That's impressive. I think you'll need to feed the two pairs separately as their feed requirements will be different. I don't know anything about kune kunes except what I've read on here but someone with the knowledge will be along soon I'm sure.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 10:02:29 am »
Agree with Hughey that you may need to separate for feeding as their requirements and growth rates are both different, the GOS/BK crosses need as Eastling has suggested 1lb feed per month of age upto 5lb.
Not sure about KK's but Happy Hippy will be along to advise on those in due course.
this might help http://www.gospbc.co.uk/so-you-want-to-keep-pigs-part-3/ or http://www.gospbc.co.uk/so-you-want-to-keep-pigs-part-4/
all the best you will have some super pork.
mandy :pig:

Eastling

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2013, 10:06:09 am »
Sorry just reread your post. Kune Kune s are different in they  have 1lb of food a day plus fruit and veg. (the Berkshires X can also have fruit and veg)
 I'm sure Happy Hippy will put you right.
 You can do a search on the forum as this has been discuss at length before.

I agree with Hughesy about feeding them separately, as the bigger pigs will push the smaller ones out of the way at feeding time.
Labradors leave foot prints on your heart as well as your clothes

misscbr

• Joined Sep 2013
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2013, 06:48:18 pm »
Hi - thank you for all your comments - I had been giving them a 1lb per month of age just doesn't look a lot and weird when you have 2 wee pigs and 2 big pigs getting the same feeding amounts.   :-\

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2013, 09:45:36 pm »
I'm still curious to know how your pigs are as heavy as 50kg and not 3 months old??? I was told 1lb per day per month old up to 4lb max, ie 2lb/day at 2 months and 4lb/day at 4-7 months, cutting back in last 2 weeks to reduce fat.

I add some fruit and bread as well. Also might depend on type of nuts and % protein in them.

HappyHippy

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2013, 03:13:05 pm »
Your Berkshire x GOS need a pound of food per month of age, up to a maximum of 5 lbs per day - if you're feeding lots of fruit & veg you can reduce the hard feeding a bit, but no more than 50% or the growth will slow and they'll struggle to maintain themselves, let alone grow when the weather gets colder. 4lbs of fruit & veg = 1lbs of pig nuts.

Our Kunekunes get 1-1.5lbs per day each (split into 2 feeds) and usually topped up with fruit & veg or hay/hayledge when there's no grass. They're slower growing, so aren't likely to be 'ready' til they're at least 10 months old whereas your bigger ones will be ready sooner (around 6 months)

No barley or grain for your Kunekunes or they'll pile on the fat  ;) As long as they've got access to grass/hay they'll be fine. If it gets really cold we soak sugar beet pellets for them, but feed sparingly to avoid them getting fat - half a pound per day is ample for each pig.
I'd probably suggest separating them at feed time and if possible give them separate areas to live in too - the crosses will root up the grass that the Kunekune need to eat.
Hope that helps and makes sense ?
Karen

misscbr

• Joined Sep 2013
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2013, 07:07:01 pm »
Awe Thank you sooooo much Karen for all that info! I was wondering about the Kunekunes getting the same as the crosses they are actually little bullies lol and have a right go at the BKxGOS so making a separate pen this week to keep them in.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS