Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Advice please - Its getting worse :0(  (Read 7337 times)

Maddox

• Joined Jan 2009
Re: Advice please - Its getting worse :0(
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2009, 10:30:26 pm »
Hi

Yes Im guessing it may come to that but I would really like to try all options before I do  :(

Maddox

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2009, 12:15:46 am »
I've had a similar problem with my new ex-batts.  One tiny scraggy one was being bullied by one of the others after about a week of harmony.  The other two started to join in so I took her out and decided to put her in with the main flock of ducks and chickens.  As soon as she went in there she started to bully the ducks and Jamie went between her and the ducks to protect them from her.  She's a real tiny thing but I've taken a soft spot for her.  Anyway, she then escaped by squeezing through between the spars of the gate and took off round the garden.  Couldn't let her stay there as I need the dogs to get out, so went after her and put her in the isolation shed and run.  Next morning I added more chicken wire to the gate and put her in the main run with the rest, and found her after a few hours tucked down behind the shed in a space just as wide as my hand span.  So I reckon the others are bullying her back.  Went out to a meeting tonight and when I came back she was down the back of the shed again, so I went in and got her, put her inside the chicken shed.  I think only Jamie and the last light Sussex go in there at night.  So tomorrow night the remaining three ex batts are going to be transported into that shed too, so they will all be there together when I let them out in the morning.  It will be interesting to see if a night in the dark together will make them see eye to eye ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Maddox

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2009, 08:11:38 am »
I know how you feel, this is my first chick and Ive kinda got a huge soft spot for her but alas the others just wont accept her, so I think the best thing will be to rehome her  :'(

Maddox

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2009, 08:22:10 am »
The other thing you could try, and Annie touched on it, is to put the young one into her coop just before it gets dark and when the others go in once dark they should think she is one of them. I have been told by a very experienced farmer this is how you should introduce new ducks to eachother. I guess you would have to be standing close by to listen for any fighting - just incase it went wrong. Isn't is funny how animals behave at times?

Maddox

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2009, 12:07:37 pm »
Im going to try and put mum & baby in the main coop once its dark and stand by to see what happens.

xx

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2009, 12:13:54 pm »
I managed to get 'scraggie aggie' in the shed last night and she was still there when I opened up this morning.  Tried to get her to come out but in the end I put food in for her. Just going to check on them now.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

lisam

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2009, 09:33:11 pm »
i would definately try putting them into the shed once it gets dark.  I always do this with new birds and havent had a problem with fighting etc before.  Good luck :)

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2009, 08:29:04 pm »
Talk about a worry, expecially with your first ever chick!  Hope it sorts itself out.

I have been reading this with great interest as I have 4x 5 week old chicks.  In the field we have 4 chicken houses - the chick ark, the ark, the chalet and the palace!  The other night we shared the hens from the ark between the palace and chalet.  The chicks have been in a little chick/broody ark and today were moved into the big ark now that they are big enough to manage the ramp.  Mum is looking very ready to get away from the chicks and we will probably let her out at the weekend.  Hopefully, the plan will be that when we finally let the chicks out they will continue to roost in the ark and will be left alone.

Could all go tits up of course! ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS