Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Looks like we're off!  (Read 2564 times)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Looks like we're off!
« on: October 27, 2013, 12:11:00 am »
Lots of noise from the goat yard this evening and food has been left for the last couple of days. Needless to say, it's not the goat that I want to get in kid this autumn but hopefully she'll get the idea. She hasn't been in season yet but she's over 18 months now so she should do something this year.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Looks like we're off!
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2013, 05:14:56 am »
Exciting  :excited:

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2013, 07:48:17 am »
We had one come in then within a couple of days they all started
 :fc: for you
Graham

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2013, 11:23:58 am »
4 mated this morning !!

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2013, 11:25:49 am »
They don't mind the bad weather then

Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2013, 11:40:18 am »
 :fc: for a noisy week at your place  :roflanim: then look forward to some patter of tiny hooves  :excited:

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2013, 12:42:24 pm »
one of mine was yelling 2 weeks ago, due on again this Friday, unfortunatly a 100 mile trip to get to a Togg male, and not liking the sound of the van gearbox - oh dear.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2013, 09:47:06 pm »
She's finally quietened down this evening so hopefully Cloud will start soon. I've warned the billy's owner that we may be over in three weeks. I'll have to take both of them anyway so at least one should come home pregnant.  :D :excited:

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2013, 03:29:32 pm »
Most of our big Anglo Nubians have had one season, and the little dairy goats numerous - the tiny pygmy girl has been yelling the loudest - no bigger than a little dog, and she has the loudest voice.

Darren will be joining the girls just after bonfire night - we are 1000ft up here, and do not want kids too early.

Last week, one of the small dairy goats legged it from the field.  Got under two fences (or over maybe).  I had a suspicion of her whereabouts, and two fields away is where I found here .....hanging over Darrens half door.  I did explain as I pulled a reluctant Molly back to her own stable, that breeding with a large Anglo Nubian is a no no.......never under estimate a female goats ability to find a male!!!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2013, 10:00:05 pm »
Oh I know. Someone near here spotted one of her goatlings had developed an udder. She put her on her own overnight and decided to check the next day and maybe see the vet. The next morning there were two goats in the pen - mother and very new daughter. The only way the mother could have become pregnant is by getting through a hole about 2 foot by 18 inches and four foot off the ground into her father's shed. She then found her way back out.

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2013, 10:54:49 pm »
 :thumbsup: :thumbsup: , little kids are always lovely to see!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS