Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Rams with wooly faces  (Read 2597 times)

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
Rams with wooly faces
« on: October 25, 2013, 05:42:45 pm »
Hi there  :wave:

This is my first time with a ram that has a verrryyy wooly face, he is a strapping young lad, Hampshire down cross Charolais and cant wait to see his offspring :D

He is going in with the ladies on the 2nd of November but this weekend I am catching and crutching the ewes and bringing the rams up to Stroud,  he is verryyy woolly and its now grown over his eyes, should I take the shears to his face before he meets the ladies?

Someone told me it might be too much of a shock for him... what do other wooly faced people do?

Thanks

Jess

bizzielizzie66

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Kent
Re: Rams with wooly faces
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, 05:53:48 pm »
Hi.  We have Ryelands - wooly like Southdowns. We trim once or twice over winter/spring so they can see who is coming or where they're going !

I actually use a blunt ended pair of scissors ..... I think they are quite grateful for the improved view  :thumbsup:
Keeper of Ryelands (learner) , Geese, Bantams, Chickens, Ducks , Horses & Cattle.  Animal Feed Merchant by day & BSc Agriculture graduate of yore :)

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2013, 06:04:18 pm »
Thankyou  :thumbsup:

He is very heavily wooled for a cross! so might give him a trim and see how it goes :)

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2013, 04:46:10 pm »
Get someone to stand astride his neck with a knee behind each ear, then cover the eye with one hand while trimming with the other.  If you don't and the fleece gets sodden with rain or snow it could well restrict vision - you don't want him walking into things.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS