Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Stray cow  (Read 1534 times)

moony

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Dent
Stray cow
« on: November 17, 2013, 11:08:09 am »
Looking for a bit of advice as we are not really cattle people. There is a Belgian Blue bullock, although its horned and in a pretty poor state so hardly recognisable as a Belgian Blue, that seems to have taken up residence in our field. Its been out with some across the road that it jumped in with but they have gone in for the winter now, That farmer would have taken it but couldn't load it with his although it doesn't belong to them. The people that it does belong to come and get it every now and then from wherever it is but it just escapes again, jumping walls etc. The farmers it does belong to are rather unsavoury characters and have in the past been banned from keeping animals. I don't want any aggro with them and don't particularly want them around our place as they have a tendency to help themselves to whatever they fancy. While its not really causing us any problems as such it is eating what limited grass we have and therefore I want it gone as soon as possible. Its in with a heavily in foal mare and s flock of sheep that is being tupped. Apart from them not needing any disruption I want to feed them but don't want to be feeding anything extra or encouraging it to stay. The owners just say they will come in the next week or so. Would it be worth ringing animal health or is that just going to cause us a lot of problems? If it goes in my next field with our colts it will certainly cause a problem  as they are pretty playful at best and the fact that its horned wont help.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
Re: Stray cow
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 03:26:37 pm »
my cattle are horned and they share a huge area (50 acres) with my ponies and i have witnessed once the bull charging one the ponies so it is a possibilty if there isnt alot of space, or they get cornered.

we did have an escaped sheep on our land once and they couldnt catch it so in the end i caught it myself and they took it away.

but if yours keeps returning then im not sure what to do, except maybe ask the animal health for advice as it is basically contravening the movement laws.
if you get any hassle from the owners then call the cops and report it.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2013, 03:32:39 pm »
I would contact animal health. That way you cover your ass as there's an unpapered movement onto your land.

They may well be able to get in touch with the owners if know to the authorities already and read them the riot act.

Cactus Jack

• Joined Oct 2013
  • Tortosa catalunya
    • stevel100
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2013, 05:33:47 pm »
If you lived in Spain that cow would escape from field straight into my freezer and most of the freezers in the local village....hey these things happen :P

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS