Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Acorns and Conkers as Fuel.  (Read 12870 times)

Bright Raven

• Joined May 2010
  • North Shropshire
Acorns and Conkers as Fuel.
« on: October 07, 2013, 09:25:29 pm »
Hi Folks  :tree:
Last year I worked out that walnut shells burn really hot and fast. Great free fuel for my wood burning stove. This year I am looking at hundreds of fallen acorns and conkers. Does anyone dry these to burn? I am a bit worried that they will cause the flue in my chimney to get coated in resin the same way it would if I burnt green wood. Do you think this will be a problem?
If not I will start collecting and storing.
Also have any of you ideas about any other smallholder friendly fuel sources that could be used when the lights go out and when I run out of coal and wood.
I have plenty of wool  :excited: maybe I had best just get knitting a big jumper.
Julia xxx 3 acres and a day job!!!! Chickens, Turkeys, Sheep, Pigs, Veggies and Homebrew. Husband, son, pets, chutney and music.
If I am here it's because I am putting my feet up!

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
Re: Acorns and Conkers as Fuel.
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 09:38:31 pm »
I collect pine cones as they are great for starting the fires but I do now they create a lot of resin but we have open fires, would the conkers explode?  I so wanted to coat my pine cones with different coloured chemicals to burn pretty colours, I think I put it on here once but have forgotten.  I suppose you could make tallow or any animal fat candles  :innocent:

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 07:54:08 am »
Not sure its particularly smallholder friendly, but used cooking oil burns well. If you're not doing anything else with it, soak half burnt -charcoal sticks in it, burns well.

I would have thought that conkers would take a lot of drying out? I collected and tried to burn beech mast once, but they smoldered as I hadn't dried them enough. - The shells of nuts burn well, but the nut themselves have a lot of moisture as well as energy, I'd guess you might need to split them all open to dry, but have never experimented.

Again, at a guess, I'd say if they were well dried and added to a decent fire that was already up and going, I wouldn't assume they'd cause too many problems to your lum.

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2013, 08:14:54 am »
http://chemistry.about.com/od/funfireprojects/a/colored-fire-pinecones.htm
That was the idea I had to make a pretty fire with cones.....

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS