Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lamb Sausage  (Read 10320 times)

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
Lamb Sausage
« on: June 01, 2008, 03:55:19 pm »
Does anyone have any tips or recipies for making lamb sausages? We have just sent  some tup hoggs to slaughter and need to make best use of the stronger tasting flavour

Thanks
Ian

dave

• Joined May 2008
  • cheshire
Re: Lamb Sausage
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 06:23:32 pm »
Does anyone have any tips or recipies for making lamb sausages? We have just sent  some tup hoggs to slaughter and need to make best use of the stronger tasting flavour

Thanks
Why not freeze as mince then make meatloaf or meatballs using either beans or veg to absorb and dilute the flavour plus breadcrumbs,or cheat like i do and make a meatloaf using a stuffing mix with the mince.

Dave

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 07:21:36 pm »
Once frozen as mince would i be able to use any for sausage? or does it then have to be cooked and eaten? (not a great cook Charcoal potatoes and black sausage a speciality)
Ian

dave

• Joined May 2008
  • cheshire
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 08:33:43 pm »
yes when thawed it would have to be cooked,but could then be frozen again.why not make lamburgers.Theyre easier to cook than sausages and just layer them with greaseproof paper in freezer.They do need a filler like breadcrumbs tho or they tend to shrink.We got hardly any mince with lamb tho,it all went to joints,chops and neck end.If its not comming back already minced you could dice the meat instead and make some hearty stews(if the meats strong use more veg and beans) and curry's out of it.Harder to burn a stew,just leave it to simmer away. ;)

Dave

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 09:24:09 pm »
This is not directly linked to the original post - more to lamb burgers! We stopped making pork sausages because they are such a faff - now we make pork burgers and they are lovely! We bought a wee burger maker gadget from Lakeland for aout £1.99 and it works a treat.

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2008, 10:55:19 pm »
The Hoggs come back tomorrow so i will try your suggestions .. thanks
Ian

danndans

• Joined Jan 2008
  • aberystwyth
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2008, 08:35:07 am »
I'v gotta link somewhere for hoggit sausages i'll sort it out after and post it  ;D

We're putting one of our hoggits into sausages to.
Make your words soft and sweet, as one day you may have to eat them.

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2008, 11:07:49 pm »
well i put some of the hoggits into sausage with a very basic recipie

minced lamb, Bread crumbs, handful of mint, rosemary, basil and thyme from the garden and a little salt

In the main it was delicious. With the next lot (due friday) I will be experimenting with , probably, more spicy as opposed to sweet flavours
Ian

PuBS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • National
    • PuBSForum
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2009, 08:12:24 am »
I have many recipes for sausages if anyone wants to try them pm me.
The main essential for making a good sausage is quality ingredients, fresh herbs and veg etc wherever possible,absolute cleanliness in all stages, natural casings - and dont forget they need soaking and flushing as they are stored in salt!
Dried herbs can be used but I tend to let the minced mixture stand overnight in the fridge, covered in cling film, this helps the flavours to develop.
Also you need to hang them for 24 hours in a fridge ( we had our own cold store) to let the surplus water dry and flavours to develop.
Nickcordery
PuBSadmin
www.pubs.myfunforum.org

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS