Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Worming advice  (Read 4843 times)

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
Worming advice
« on: October 10, 2013, 04:29:34 am »
Hi all. Have noticed an upsurge of tapeworm segments and roundworm egg/worms in faeces on the paddock. Some of the little ones have the runs too. Am about to rest the current field and sort out a very small tupping group. I have a large field the main flock inc youngsters will go onto, another smaller field the rams will go to and a further field the tupping group will go to. The tupping group will comprise of x4 guest ewes (originally from our flock) who will be quarantined for 48 hours prior to meeting the ram and PERHAPS our own ten gimmers. Previous wormer drenches have been yellow (last autumn/winter) then white (combined flukicide/wormer in spring) and, most recently, clear when we had problems in the ewes and lambs in August. I want a wormer which will cover for both tape and round worms and wondered if any of you have tried the latest products (there's a new orange drench?). I've looked at Zolvix but this appears to be directed at bought-in stock. Yes, I am going to ask the vet also and get FEC done. Just wonder what your experience is/advice would be. We have got Dectomax on hand also. Hope that's not all too vague...

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
Re: Worming advice
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 08:01:21 am »
I would use the cheapest one that you don't have resistance to. Unless I'm looking to get lambs away after 6 days (when I will use oramec) then my go to wormer is levamisole.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 08:01:43 am »
If it were me I would be doing a wormer resistance test at this point by worm counting in two separate groups, them  treating one group but leaving the other one then re worm counting, this will mean you can know what wormers /ingredients are or aren't working. With the price of Zolvix, this would be probably no more expensive and a longer term benefit.

But vet is the best to definitely advise.

I have used Zolvix when I had a case of immediate post lambing scouring, lambie needed mum to be well immediately and worm count said nemotodes and I went for Zolvix just to get 100%. But it is very expensive And a reserve weapon, and I didn't use it for the lambs, was able to use yellow drench for them.

Apparently there are new combination wormers coming out like they use in NZ, they are supposed to avoid resistance by combining several ingredients targeting the same type of worm, so if one doesn't get them the other does. My only concern is that their effectiveness still relies on proper following of SCOPS worming guidelines, otherwise resistance will still increase.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013, 09:47:34 am »
_Only_ white wormers do tapeworm.  So you are going to need a two stage approach - select the most appropriate wormer to clear up the rounds worms, and then use a white wormer to kill the tape worms.  I would separate those doses by a few days, maybe a week so that they don't interfere with each other.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 12:56:36 pm »
All the white wormers do round worms / lungworm /tapeworm so if no resistance why 2 wormers   ,  LEVITAPE is a levamisole product which again does all  3   , CYDECTIN TRICLAMAX is clear product that does all 3 plus fluke   .  ZOLVIX is very expensive only does round worms

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013, 01:15:06 pm »
All the white wormers do round worms / lungworm /tapeworm so if no resistance why 2 wormers   ,  LEVITAPE is a levamisole product which again does all  3   , CYDECTIN TRICLAMAX is clear product that does all 3 plus fluke   .  ZOLVIX is very expensive only does round worms

Agree Shep, I only used Zolvix once worm count results showed that it was the right wormer for the sheep.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2013, 01:46:17 pm »
All the white wormers do round worms / lungworm /tapeworm so if no resistance why 2 wormers
Yeah, doh, I had my stupid head on! :D  I must have been presuming resistance :).

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2013, 04:35:42 pm »
As a vet, I second the idea to get your vet involved.
As explained, the usual wormer classes usually are directed at roundworms (except white drenches also cover tapes).
If seeing tapeworms, and you have roundworm eggs, it may well be worth doing a white drench, then checking in 2 weeks (14 days exactly) a faecal egg count, which will show if you have any resistance, as there should be no eggs at that point if the wormer has worked, or at the very least show a 95% reduction in the pre-worming FEC.
Again, as mentioned, the SCOPS guidelines are quite good for referring to, in terms of what to do for reducing resistance, such as minimising number of times worming is necessary by FECs, putting sheep onto dirty pasture so as not to only have resistant worm eggs passed onto clean pasture, leaving a certain percentage of fit well animals so there is a refuge of worms that are susceptible to wormers to dilute any resistant ones.
Zolvix and the new class of wormer Startect are designed to be used either as a quarantine drench (there is no known resistance to it yet, so there should be very few eggs passed onto your pasture from new animals) so that resistant worms from new stock are killed off as much as possible, or as a last resort if there is resistance to all the other classes of wormer.
Hope that sheds a bit of light
Suzanne

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2013, 10:57:09 pm »
Very informative reply thanks Suzanne. That looks to be about the same advice as Foobar has given aside from the period between drenches.
Does it take long to get a FEC result?

jacoblambuk

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2013, 12:02:58 am »
My vet did a fec result in 10 mins the last time i was at the vets

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2013, 07:12:53 am »
Most vets are able to do a FEC in house, so should be able to do the same day.
If you are looking for fluke eggs or lungworm (more usually a problem in cattle, but can get in sheep) then the samples usually have to be sent away, which still means usually a result in a few days to a week.
The theory of the time after the drench varies depending which drench it is, as they all work slightly differently, but if you do a FEC 14 days after a white drench, there should be 95% fewer worm eggs than pre-drenching. If the white wormer works on your roundworms, then you don't need to give anything else.
There are other tapewormers available, so that if you have resistance to white drench in your roundworms, your vet can help you plan which to use in future, with a tapewormer plus a suitable roundwormer (as already mentioned, there are combination products available that include roundwormer +/- flukicide +/- tapewormer).
But yes first step is to get a FEC done by the vet, get an idea of pre-worming levels, then I think white drench will be the first option (one shot round and tapes providing no resistance) and a FEC at 14 days post drenching to check levels are down.
All the best
Suzanne

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS