Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Animal Health Officer  (Read 8012 times)

katelock

• Joined Mar 2008
Animal Health Officer
« on: March 31, 2008, 09:55:51 pm »
Dear all,
having just registered my four young weaners I have had a scary phone call from a woman who is the "animal health officer". How worried should I be (just generally don't like inspections, Offsted, CSCI, Standards for better health - for those who have had any contact with the NHS world) what will she be looking for, any tips on what to say?
many thanks. Kate (not the France one!)

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
Re: Animal Health Officer
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 10:10:44 pm »
Hi Kate- I had exactly the same thing happen when I got my sheep  :sheep: about 4 years ago.   ~But this chap, complete with black briefcase in hand,.....just turned up on the doorstep. :o  But actually he was extremely nice, checked the paperwork and offered loads of advise.  He followed the call up with a huge envelope package stuffed full of leaflets and info about keeping sheep  :sheep:, and other info about keeping pigs  :pig:- cos I told him I was aiming to get some weaners - and even stuff about horses, as it was just before horse passports  :horse:.  So I wouldn't worry about it. If my experience was anything to go by, I kept his card and got in touch with him a couple of time over the years to ask advise about stock records books and such like. ;D
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

danndans

• Joined Jan 2008
  • aberystwyth
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 10:31:57 pm »
Have had the same sort here to, an oldish man, he was more interested in how much i was selling half a pig for ;D saying that i was had last year for a licence being put in a day to soon, said sorry smiled and said well at the end of the day i'm only a woman ;D ;D  hehe it worked wonders!  the plonkers :)
Make your words soft and sweet, as one day you may have to eat them.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 08:15:46 am »
We've never been inspected but I've phoned them a couple of tiimes and they've been really helpful. Always better to keep these folk on side than antagonise them. I work in local government, so I know how official-baiting can backfire.

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008, 09:19:26 am »
I had the same experience. He rang up asked when it was convenient to call, just really checked up that I knew the important rules and regs. He was most interested in making sure that that the pigs were being fed correctly, and that I understood about not feeding kitchen waste or animal product. She will want to know what you feed the pigs, so keep a few receipts from your feed merchant and show her the bags. Have your movement docs available for her to see. Show that fresh water is available to the pigs and that their welfare is important. All basic stuff that you will have no difficullty with. If you have any questions don't be afraid to ask as she will be glad to share her knowledge. If you don't already, make a pig folder with all the info in(receipts, forms, defra leaflets, records etc). She may not want to see it, but it can't do any harm. she is interested in the welfare of your new weaners, just the same as you, so don't be worried, it is just part of becoming a pig person. :pig:

katelock

• Joined Mar 2008
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2008, 07:52:02 pm »
many thanks to all, this has calmed my nerves! I have my pig folder to hand and will change the water before she gets there. I'll let you know how it goes. K

katelock

• Joined Mar 2008
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2008, 09:15:19 pm »
hi all. no problems. they are obviously having a local blitz on making sure no catering waste is going to pigs, she just checked i was feeding them with sow nuts and went on her way. very straightforward. thanks for all the support K

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2008, 09:32:19 pm »
Don't worry.....they phoned me at 7am last week :-\ to ask how many dead sheep I had had last year as they didn't believe my annual return ::)
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

katelock

• Joined Mar 2008
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2008, 03:45:39 pm »
how many did you have?? K

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2008, 06:02:23 pm »
Only 2, which accordingly they thought I'd made an error and was hiding something ::) ::)
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2008, 09:21:46 pm »
They obviously haven't got enough to do to keep 'em busy  ;) ;) :sheep:   I wouldn't mind that job  ;) :D
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS