Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pig arcs  (Read 3618 times)

pinkpiggies!

• Joined Feb 2011
Pig arcs
« on: September 23, 2013, 09:13:45 pm »
Does anyone have a pig arc for sale? Looking for second hand if possible.  I live near to Edinburgh.  Failing that who sells reasonably priced pig arcs that don't cost a fortune?!?!

Lisa x

HappyHippy

Re: Pig arcs
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 08:07:50 am »
Plastic heating oil tanks are much more reasonably priced (and sturdier) than plastic pig arcs - cheaper too  ;)
They also have the advantage of being easy to roll into a new position. Just cut a door in the front and drill some ventilation holes in the back and you're sorted  :thumbsup:

Here's a link to the kind of thing I mean
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/titan-LP1200-TT-plastic-oil-tank-MK22DD-/121181877649?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Hearing_Cooling_Air&hash=item1c3700b591 obviously this is a brand new one, but you can usually pick them up second hand.
HTH

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 04:44:27 pm »
And only £437.81. A bargain.

HappyHippy

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 04:55:47 pm »
obviously this is a brand new one, but you can usually pick them up second hand.
I couldn't find a link to any of the £30 second hand ones ;) ;D

ZacB

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Suffolk
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2013, 05:03:05 pm »
Could always make your own. I do have some plans from a previous Taser for triangular arc's made from ply. Ours now needs some work for the next occupants but it has lasted for the last 3 pairs of piggies  ;D

If wanted pm me your e-mail and I'll send through

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2013, 08:46:35 pm »
or get a couple of sheets of wrinkly tin you could bend into an arc shape  if you make a square frame from timber and fill in the ends, alternatively we had a couple of pigs that lived in a normal shed and were quite happy.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2013, 09:14:32 pm »
Glendale Engineering at Wooler do curved sheets of corrugated tin at about £35 a sheet, we built our last one ourselves and it didnt cost a lot, we used our original as a template.
Anne

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2013, 10:16:05 pm »
If you can borrow a copy of my Haynes Pig Manual, there's a step-by-step guide with pictures and measurements in there. My old man based the design on one of the ones we'd bought and we built it in half a day for about £80.
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

pinkpiggies!

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2013, 10:23:27 pm »
Thanks for all your replies.  Going to try the corrugated iron bendy stuff and see how we go.  Will keep searching e bay for oil tanks, just haven't found any nice cheap ones!!!

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2013, 09:12:59 am »
or get a couple of sheets of wrinkly tin you could bend into an arc shape  if you make a square frame from timber and fill in the ends, alternatively we had a couple of pigs that lived in a normal shed and were quite happy.

Buy the already 'bent' ones. Bending the flat sheets to the shape you want is nigh on impossible. :pig:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS