Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: A Year in Britain  (Read 2568 times)

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
A Year in Britain
« on: October 03, 2013, 07:18:28 am »
Did anyone see this programme last night on TV.  A new 4 part series, which started with Britain in the Winter time.  I thought it was fantastic. Some great filming and loved the way that farming and wildlife incorporated to make a really interesting and informative programme. 

The seals on the beach were funny - all trying to get out of the way of the sea as they were moulting and found the water cold!   I also enjoyed watching the hares and the owls.  A few sheep references/filming also added to the interest and with the next programme being about Spring, I have me  :fc: that there will be some lambs on film  ::)

Well worth a watch if anyone missed it.   

henchard

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Two Retirees Start a New Life in Wales
    • Facebook
Re: A Year in Britain
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 09:04:19 am »
It was excellent and another example of the Beeb at it's best. The photography was (as usual for nature programs) of the very highest calibre. The Barn Owl shots hunting in the snow were stunning.

I know the BBC has its critics and nothing is perfect but when compared to the mindless drivel on the other channels (which lets be honest is just a filler between the adverts) it is way ahead.

More info on the series and catch up if you missed it

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01db10t

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 09:13:02 am »
It was excellent and another example of the Beeb at it's best. The photography was (as usual for nature programs) of the very highest calibre. The Barn Owl shots hunting in the snow were stunning.

I know the BBC has its critics and nothing is perfect but when compared to the mindless drivel on the other channels (which lets be honest is just a filler between the adverts) it is way ahead.

this  :thumbsup:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 09:17:35 am »
I did not see it but it sounds like one to save and watch with a big fire and no distractions. :thumbsup: ...TV viewing has changed so much since we can watch programmes when we like, the old days of rushing home to Top of the Pops on a Thursday has gone.  There are a few good programmes but a load of drivel as well!!

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2013, 06:58:56 am »
Totally agree with the above, it was well worth watching! If anyone missed it, I would highly recommend catching the rest of the series.

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2013, 07:16:30 am »
I enjoyed it very much. Some of the images were stunning.

Hamish Crofter

• Joined Jun 2013
  • Isle of Skye
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2013, 08:39:57 pm »
I thought this was probably the best of this type of programme since the legendary "Living Britain " it was great and I have watched it twice on Iplayer. Can't wait for it on DVD.

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2013, 07:09:30 pm »
It was good tv at It's best .

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS