Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Few questions about mutton  (Read 2267 times)

Azzdodd

• Joined Apr 2012
Few questions about mutton
« on: October 05, 2013, 11:46:03 am »
Next year I plan on growing a few on as mutton....is the best way to go about it wethers? So they can just run with the flock? How old do I sent them about 18-24 months?

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
Re: Few questions about mutton
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2013, 12:33:48 pm »
Real mutton is over two years old.  Traditionally, the best mutton is from 5 year old wethers, but that's possibly comparing with 5 year old ewes.

I sent mine (wethers) at 18 months this year, making it officially hogget.  I had it hung for two weeks and it is absolutely sublime (if carrying a bit too much "condition": one lives and learns!).  They were mollycoddled Northern Mules, out on grass and each producing around 40-45kg of meat.

I think wethers are best as they put on weight more easily.

Azzdodd

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2013, 12:41:17 pm »
I am gonna use wether sum pretty sure off that but I'm not sure off how long to keep them on

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2013, 01:30:11 pm »
I reckon 18 months is ideal and wethers are ideal - we do that too. Tender still but with a wonderful depth of flavour. With hill breeds like our shetlands i rarely send anything as lamb unless they need to go cos eg retained testicle so not castrated and dont want them around at breeding time.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2013, 12:37:14 am »
I think it depends on the breed and how they do on your pasture.

A good doer, like a Mule, will probably get too fat over its second summer, so would be best sent off at 14-16 months, once it has put back on the condition it lost over winter but before it gets as fat as butter on summer grass.

A slower-growing animal, like a primitive, probably needs the whole of the second summer to fully mature, so would be 18-19 months.  Or could be kept on for a third summer and sent off at 28 months-ish.

We kept a couple of Swaledale wethers on the hill (moorland) for two years, sending them off as the grass reached its best in their 3rd summer.  They were awesome. :yum:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2013, 02:10:08 pm »
I can confirm the butter/fat/mule/summer thing. Butcher said they were fine, but untrimmed, they looked over fat to me. Delicious though.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS