Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sponging?  (Read 5618 times)

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
Sponging?
« on: October 03, 2013, 11:21:47 am »
Hi there  :wave:

I made a woopsy this year and left it too late to get a ram vasectomised to use as a teaser  ::)

Also I cannot find one to borrow or buy anywhere  ???

I don't want my ewes to be spread over a month period like this year, and I cannot use my rams on one side of a fence for the ram effect.

So here comes the next idea... sponging

as im not breeding out of season is it true that I do not need the injections?? just use the sponges?

Where is the best place to buy them? and is it best to ask a vet/someone who has done it before to help me?

Also I do not have a handling system and my field is only accessible on foot so ewes would have to be done by using a pen of hurdles

Many thanks

Jess

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
Re: Sponging?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 06:08:22 pm »
Have never used sponges on my ewes, but something you might like to consider is the SuperTup Tub by Denis Brinicombe.  It is designed to encourage ewes in to season and provide a tighter lambing cycle within the flock.  You need to feed 3 weeks before ram due in and 3 weeks once he is introduced. 

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 08:01:32 pm »
Thankyou for that!   :wave: will have to look it up and see :)

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 08:23:21 pm »
You are correct that you shouldn't need any hormone injection . The sponges are applied in the same way that a woman puts in a tampon ( so my wife says ) so are easily put in ,  in a pen , in a field

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 09:04:11 pm »
Out of interest, Where do you get them from, is it from a vet?

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2013, 07:36:51 am »
This is quite a useful article...

FGA-30 Intravaginal Sponges for Sheep and Goats
Composition
Fluorogestone acetate (Flugestone acetate, Flurogestone acetate) 30mg, 40mg or 45mg per sponge.

Physical Information
FGA Vaginal Sponges are a polyurethane sponge impregnated with 30mg, 40mg or 45mg Fluorogestone acetate per sponge. Each sponge contains a drawstring to allow easy removal of the sponge.

Indications
FGA Vaginal Sponges are used for controlled breeding in sheep and goats to synchronise oestrus and ovulation. FGA Vaginal sponges will not cause barren animals to become fertile. Fluorogestone acetate is a potent progestogen, which will prolong the di-oestrus stage of the reproductive cycle allowing synchronization of the breeding cycle in a group of ewes. Following insertion of the FGA Vaginal sponge in the vagina, the sponge releases flugestone acetate, a progestogen which is absorbed and subjects the ewe to a progestational action comparable to the luteal phase of the sexual cycle. This artificially imposed progestational phase is ended by the removal of the sponge.

Injection with PMSG at the time of sponge removal, induces a simultaneous start of the follicular phase in the treated animals. Follicles then develop and synchronised oestrus and ovulation follow.

Dosage and Administration
Oestrus is likely to occur 36 hours to 48 hours following sponge removal and ovulation after a following 24 hours. Induction of oestrus is enhanced following the use of PMSG 2 days before or at the time of sponge removal.

Insert the sponge by using the applicator. Disinfect the applicator in either a 10% benzalkonium chloride solution or 5g/L chlorhexidine gluconate solution. Do not immerse the sponge in disinfectant. Using a gloved hand insert the sponge into the end of the applicator so that the sponge is just behind the end of the applicator tube, leave the string hanging free. Insert the applicator 10cm to 15 cm into the vagina and gently eject the sponge by pushing the applicator plunger. Remove the applicator so that the drawstring is hanging outside the vagina. Wipe the applicator clean and re-immerse in disinfectant after each use.

Sponge removal - gently pull on the string to remove the sponge. Some discharge may occur which is normal. If no string is visible carefully examine the vagina to locate the string and remove the sponge.

Dose
Animal FGA dose Duration of insertion (days) PMSG (i/m or s/c dose) dose/timing
Sexual Season
Dry Ewe 40mg 14 400iu-600iu At sponge removal
Lactating Ewe 30mg 12 400iu-600iu At sponge removal
Maiden Ewe 40mg* 14 400iu-600iu At sponge removal
Doe 45mg* 17-21 400iu At sponge removal
Anoestrus Season
Dry Ewe 30mg 12 400iu-600iu At sponge removal
Lactating Ewe 30mg 12 400iu-600iu At sponge removal
Maiden Ewe 40mg* 14 400iu-600iu At sponge removal
Doe 45mg* 17-21 600iu 2 days before sponge removal

*For 30mg dose use FGA-30 Vaginal sponge containing 30mg Flugestone acetate per sponge.

*For 40mg use FGA-40 Vaginal sponge containing 40mg Flugestone acetate per sponge.

*For 45mg use FGA-45 Vaginal sponge containing 45mg Flugestone acetate per sponge.

Mating
Does - Mate or AI 36 to 48 hrs after sponge removal. If AI is used preferably administer a double dose of semen.
Sheep - Mate at 48 hrs and 60 hours after sponge removal, or AI 55 hours (48hrs to 60 hrs) after sponge removal. Preferably increase the number of rams in the flock to at least 1 ram per 10 ewes. Where teaser rams are used, inseminate any unmarked ewes at 72 hours after sponge removal.
Do not use alcohols, cresols, phenols or sheep dips as disinfectants on the sponges or applicator.
Goats may resent sponge insertion, take care and insert the sponge gently to avoid the doe moving suddenly and injuring herself.
If the sponge appears to have adhered to the vaginal wall, carefully reinsert the applicator and remove the sponge by exerting tension on the sponge through the applicator.
To avoid animals eating the sponges, burn or bury sponges once removed from the animal.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2013, 10:23:57 pm »
I'm thinking of sponging this year too. I really need mine lambing during the two week school holidays at Easter and not beyond.

I shall have tups the other side of stock fencing from the ewes, leading up to tupping, which tightens up the lambing but not enough.

Anyone done it? Any issues or things to know?

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2013, 12:52:35 pm »
Don't know about modern sponges but when i used them maybe 16 yrs ago stories of the odd string breaking upon trying to remove were common , needing a vet to remove .  I used with 25 suffolks for 3 yrs with no problems .

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS