Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Itchy goats  (Read 2623 times)

fifixx

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Shillingstone, Dorset
    • Bere Marsh Farm
Itchy goats
« on: October 01, 2013, 03:58:41 pm »
I let the 8 month old kids into the woods with me for a couple of hours, then called them out and they went ballistic with itchiness - could it be Harvest mite? 

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Itchy goats
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 10:06:53 pm »
Could be anything, from nettle stings to harvest mites.... have they settled down?

fifixx

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Shillingstone, Dorset
    • Bere Marsh Farm
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 09:01:39 am »
ah, nettle stings - hadn't thought of that!  Yes, calmer yesterday evening.  Tried to pen them in using sheep hurdles - bit daft - they just hopped out....plan B this evening with double height ones!

Will take specs and catch one to have a look - vet gave me some Dectomax injections, worth doing possibly  if they go back in against mites and ticks but in muscle ones and I HATE doing that!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 03:56:43 pm »
Well one of my greedy BT's last year went for some freshly cut nettles as I was carrying them past the fence.... she was then blowing raspberries all evening and had a sore mouth... drank lots of water too... but no lasting damage.

Hope they settle down...

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2013, 02:32:54 pm »
Well my goats must have tough mouths then.

I've just seen a wether kid standing in a patch of nettles up to his tummy, eating big mouthfuls of growing nettles and not appearing to have any problems.

I'll check later.

fifixx

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Shillingstone, Dorset
    • Bere Marsh Farm
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2013, 07:47:07 pm »
So the vet gave me the wrong thing....according to the "goaty" vet in the practice - Dectomax will not get rid of external parasites...

So today a 3 hour stint catching each kid, finding any ticks and removing, spraying with blue spray and giving antibiotic if the bite is swollen. Scabs too (possibly ex-tick bites) got the blue spray.  Plus 5ml Spot on.

Next year I'm going to keep up with Spot on through the summer and autumn as we are in the ideal place for ticks and mites.

We learnt 2 new goat-catching and restraining tricks though - first when penning them, make the pen smaller once they are caught so they can't really move - no more rodeo moves to catch them, it also stops them bashing each other!  And - when caught, one person hold the 2 front legs and the other the 2 back legs and lower onto side, then after initial kicking, put hand gently over eyes - and they just zone out!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS