Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Freddie sailed through his "quality of life" talk  (Read 4572 times)

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
Freddie sailed through his "quality of life" talk
« on: September 27, 2013, 04:11:38 pm »
with the vet.

Fred is a sprollie, I got him in1997.  I was told he was a year old.  The vet said 3 to 4... so he's old.

He is old, some incontinence but really I was concerned about pain management with his arthritis.

Vet said, most of his problems are strength and muscle wastage related.  He is confident he will always be able to control the arthritis pain with metacam.

He reckons it will come to an end when Freds back legs won't work anymore.

Generally he's well but has lost 2kg since his last meeting so is now 17.65kg... Vet said that was good as less weight for his old joints to hold up.

I want to believe everything my vet with the lovely bedside manner says, but any thoughts would be appreciated.  He is about springer spaniel size

MikeM

• Joined Jul 2011
  • NW Devon
Re: Freddie sailed through his "quality of life" talk
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2013, 04:15:20 pm »
my general feeling with animals like dogs, cats etc is if they are eating OK and generally OK within themselves (i.e. take an interest in what goes on around them, are pleased to see you etc.) then that time hasn't come. As the owner and person/people who know them best, you are the best judge. My experience is that animals are pretty good at communicating when they've had enough and as owners we are best placed to spot that change in behaviour.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 04:44:04 pm »
You're vet has got it right!  Hope Fred enjoys a few more pain free and happy years with you. :fc:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2013, 07:46:55 pm »
 :thumbsup:  Good old Fred.

Just posted on a similar topic to shygirl.

A couple of mine were given steroids towards what appeared to be the very end and they had a new lease of life for a while. Steroids do have possible side effects and they were only on these late on in their lives but it gave them longer with a decent quality of life. The possible detrimental effects of drugs are less of an issue once the dog gets to a certain age, I think.

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2013, 08:02:07 pm »
 :thumbsup:  That's wonderful...I was hoping that would be the outcome..... :thumbsup:

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2013, 10:22:43 pm »
He sounds like he's just a doddery old man enjoying life  :thumbsup:

There is a new medicine on the Market called Yumove ( yes, spelling is correct ) .it is a supplement so can be given as well as medication from a vet. It has the usual glucosamine but from natural source of green lip mussels. Codliver oil, starflower oil and other natural products. It has good reports up to now.
I use the skin soothing alternative, Yumega ( also correct spelling  ;D ) for itchy dogs. It has resulted in some dogs not needing medication any more.
They both smell of fish oils so most dogs love it on their meal.
Maybe worth a try.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2013, 09:07:03 am »
Can I just ask a question about glucosamine?

My neighbour gives his old working lab these tablets on a daily basis. Neighbour told me that they were actually sold for human consumption. He suggested that I gave them to my dad's old lab when I was looking after him for a time. It made our old lab vomit so didn't give him any more.

Is it the tablets sold for humans that you give dogs or tablets in a different form?

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2013, 09:18:51 am »
i buy mine off ebay, which are human ones but i did see there were pet ones for sale aswell. i always give mine with food and hes never been sick. but i dont know the correct answer. (i imagaine it would be pet type only whic are 5 x times the price ::)_

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2013, 09:56:15 am »
We  used to buy them off the internet, "healthy direct" our dogs are  young and appear fine but I do wonder about prevention as one in particular is a very active lab :relief:  The Yumove lotion sounds good as my older  Black Lab gets itchy and we all have no idea why!! :thumbsup:  I hope I remember this thread as I find it interesting..

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2013, 11:19:29 am »
So HGL were they "pet" or "human" ones? .... can you remember?

My Flattie is 8 and not needing anything yet but good to know.

Yep, my neighbour has given them to his lab from when he was quite a young dog ... as a preventative if you like. Not something I would do personally but he was told it was a good idea by doggy folk.

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2013, 11:24:16 am »
Definitely Pet ones...they were fairly cheap, I still have some I think.....

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2013, 07:49:13 pm »
Can I just ask a question about glucosamine?

My neighbour gives his old working lab these tablets on a daily basis. Neighbour told me that they were actually sold for human consumption. He suggested that I gave them to my dad's old lab when I was looking after him for a time. It made our old lab vomit so didn't give him any more.

Is it the tablets sold for humans that you give dogs or tablets in a different form?

Dogs are better with a coated tablet and given with food which protects the stomach lining. Glucosamine by itself isn't as good as when used with other supplements such as chondrin and cod liver oil. they may be cheaper but there are better alternatives.

funkyfish

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Devon
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2013, 10:03:50 pm »
Dogs dont break down glucosamine like we do. They need better quality and higher strength. So always use a pet one. Or you are wasting your money.
Old and rare breed Ducks, chickens, geese, sheep, guinea pigs, 3 dogs, 3 cats, husband and chicks brooding in the tv cabinate!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS