Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hello from Dorset  (Read 1128 times)

janeprince

• Joined Sep 2013
Hello from Dorset
« on: September 28, 2013, 12:02:32 pm »
Hello

I have been browsing this forum and not registered for a few years, and have just decided to take the plunge and register.

I don't unfortunately have a smallholding though would like to start in a small way in the future.  I do own some land  originally I had 6 acres but there just wasn't enough room for me to keep my three heavy horses on and to do anything else plus it was the dreaded clay and cost me a fortune in round bales in the winter.  They managed to scoff 2 bales a week November to March!   :'(

So have now managed to find some land slightly further from home but just over 12 acres with a barn and best of all gravel based  :excited:
With them I already harrow, roll and have a spinner for grass seed and I am hoping to learn how to use them for possibly ploughing and then next year possibly make some hay  if I can find equipment or have a contractor cut and bale and the horses turn it.

I really just want to go through a winter here and see how the land shapes up with the horses on it and go from there, I know the old owners managed to cut 96 round bales from the field as it is clover and ryegrass and that was one cut with ground not having any inputs for a year.  So am hoping it will support my heavies and possibly two beef sucklers in the future off the grass and homemade hay. :fc:

Best wishes
jprince

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
Re: Hello from Dorset
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 12:20:11 pm »
Wow! I would love to work my land with horses. (I'm sure lots of other smallholders would as well). We have quite small gateways and the modern machinery just won't go through them. Consequently I'm never able to take the hay off the sheep field.

Good luck with your new land. I'm sure it will be a great relief not to have to deal with sticky clay over the winter. Do let us know how you get on.

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 08:28:08 pm »
 :wave: hello and welcome from Durham.

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 08:34:14 pm »
hello from inbetween gillingham and wincanton ish.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS