Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ladies - any idea on a dress pattern  (Read 2101 times)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Ladies - any idea on a dress pattern
« on: September 27, 2013, 11:36:22 am »
I want a long dress pattern for black and white theme night on a cruise. I quite fancy one half black and one white, sort of Mary Quant style but full length (if that means anything to you).
anyone seen a pattern similar?
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Ladies - any idea on a dress pattern
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2013, 12:51:49 pm »
On a cruise  8)  where are you off to?

It should be not too difficult to find a dress pattern you like then just sew it from two different colour fabrics.  You would probably need to invent the seam down the middle front and back if the pattern has no seam there.   The paper pattern usually requires the fabric to be folded in half down the middle anyway, so just cut the black and the white separately (remembering to have one lot of material upside down.....) and add in a seam allowance to the middle.

Will you have the sleeves the opposite colour to that side of the dress?  Or is it going to be too hot for sleeves where you're off to?

Ooh, you could have shoes of different colours too, and evening gloves and...and...

We will of course expect to see a pic of you wearing the finished dress  ;D
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 01:00:23 pm »
Can't remember the last time I wore a dress or skirt  :-[

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2013, 01:41:58 pm »
Emily, I am the same but leggings and wellies won't go down well on formal nights  :roflanim:

Fleece wife, we are off to the Caribbean but not until the end of Jan. My 60th birthday is 5th February and Oh's 58th birthday is 3rd February so we will be away for both.
I want a sleeveless dress but nothing revealing. So probably just a scoop neckline. Yes, I see what you mean about the pieces being on the fold. It should be easy to make a seam there. It's not easy though to buy material online. I like to feel it and see how it would hang. I might just have to bite the bullet and go on a shopping trip

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2013, 01:56:39 pm »
 :roflanim:   You sound like me Bionic - I hate shopping especially for clothes.  There is something lovely about a dress fabric shop though - maybe the smell ?   You would be able to see the pattern books then too.

The Caribbean will be wonderful. What a great way to celebrate your 60th (we did nothing for mine and 4 days later I was in Coronary Care, so no good memories there  :( )
We went once for a distant wedding anniversary to Barbados.  One bit I really remember was a trip in a mini submarine to look at the coral.  I am fairly claustrophobic so going inside was scary, but once in there it was all big windows, so I felt fine, down amongst the beautiful fishes.   Will you have time in each place to do something like that?
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2013, 02:07:28 pm »
We are starting off the cruise in Barbados and spend the first night in dock there so will be able to go out in the evening.  Other stops are St Vincent, Dominica, St Lucia, Antigua, Leeward Islands, St Kitts, Grand Turk, Tortola and St. Maarten. We can due some of the P&O trips but instead might take our chances on what the locals have to offer.
Although I have done 3 previous Caribbean cruises (pre smallholding days) I have never been to any of these places.

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2013, 07:13:49 pm »
One place i get material from is www.fabricuk.com
the 100% cotton is good .
They supply swatches but are 50p each (i am on a tight budget !) .

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS