Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: To any Expat pig farmers  (Read 1699 times)

sidds

• Joined Feb 2012
To any Expat pig farmers
« on: September 25, 2013, 02:42:11 pm »
I am trying to find some expats in France, Spain and Portugal who have left the UK and set up out there keeping pigs.
We are based in North Wales and normally keep pigs and chickens. We have decided to take two or three months out this winter and do a little touring in our camper, a little fed up with the weather.
We fancy selling up in the next couple of years and move to another country and continue with pigs,
We are after as much info as poss regarding markets, rules / regs, pitfalls, breeds etc.
Would like to possibly visit while out and about on our travels to try and get a broader picture.
Look forward to hearing from anyone.

Sidds

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
Re: To any Expat pig farmers
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 04:06:15 pm »

Look at the blog contained in this website.

http://www.permacultureinbrittany.com/

Stuart has kept pigs for several years and is very knowledgeable about French livestock regulations. You can spend a few days at the gite in the winter in return for helping out with some of their projects. A good way to get hands on experience in a lovely part of France. Dinan is especially beautiful.

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
Re: To any Expat pig farmers
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 09:47:11 pm »
I buy 2-3 weaners a year from Brits who breed pigs here in France. I have also bought x breeds from locals. There are regs of course but not many for those of us who keep pigs for our own consumption. If you keep a couple of pigs then you should register with a local office. We have never had a visit or offical letter from the authorities but buy tagged pigs from Brits with the usual paperwork. We home kill and butcher so I don't know about movement papers.
If you put your post on the GOS breeders web site then my guess is that those in France will contact you.
Are you planning to breed or keep pigs for your own consumption?
martin
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS