Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Automatic links in posts  (Read 147045 times)

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
Automatic links in posts
« on: June 14, 2013, 01:03:18 pm »
We are testing on a very limited basis a new feature on the forum that auto-links certain words in posts. For example the word 'Crovect' in this topic has been automatically linked:

http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/forum/index.php?topic=34896.0

The links will be to other pages on TAS (shop, articles, recipes, etc) or to websites that we can detect like RBST, eBay, etc. Some of these links (like eBay) will be affiliate links, which means we will earn commission on purchases made after clicking.

The aim is to provide links that you might find useful or save you money, and might earn us a wee bit - not to stuff every post with as many links as possible.

We'd welcome feedback on how annoying/useful this might be. There will be a profile option so you will be able to turn off these links across the forum and never see them. If the consensus is they are too annoying we'll only display them to guests.

Thanks,

Dan  :)

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
Re: Automatic links in posts
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 12:53:58 pm »
More than happy to give it a try. :)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2013, 07:54:46 am »
might be the wrong place but at least you'll get this message,Dan...
I've been having problems copying and pasting links into my posts. It's not my computer as it does it fine from browser to email,etc., just not into my TAS posts...
Do you have any idea why? I know I used to be able to do it  :&>

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2013, 08:54:24 am »
Dan,
I'm happy to see the auto links and if I do click on something that earns you a wee bit then I don't have a problem with that either.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 09:41:29 pm »
I've been thinking about this.

Of course it's great to have you guys get a bit of revenue to help you fund this amazing resource  :thumbsup:

Would it be reasonable to assume that these links will enable readers to be directed to these products in the TAS shop once it's up and running?  ;)

However...  would it be possible to make the automatic links look different to a manually-inserted one?  It's probably rather OCD of me, but I am just a little uncomfortable at my name being on a post carrying a link I didn't set myself and which could change over time... and which I may not even be aware is in the post.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2013, 06:54:58 am »
I've been having problems copying and pasting links into my posts. It's not my computer as it does it fine from browser to email,etc., just not into my TAS posts...

Glad to hear it's not just me - I tend to blame my old computer - it doesn't always happen, but often enough to be annoying.

Dan

• Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2013, 07:52:55 am »
I've been thinking about this.

Of course it's great to have you guys get a bit of revenue to help you fund this amazing resource  :thumbsup:

Would it be reasonable to assume that these links will enable readers to be directed to these products in the TAS shop once it's up and running?  ;)

However...  would it be possible to make the automatic links look different to a manually-inserted one?  It's probably rather OCD of me, but I am just a little uncomfortable at my name being on a post carrying a link I didn't set myself and which could change over time... and which I may not even be aware is in the post.

We've decided to abandon the automatic linking in posts for members - it's too intrusive and although we could easily style them differently, I hate it when I visit sites that do it (albeit they tend to be linking to completely unrelated stuff on the most obscure words).

We *may* automatically link certain words if the person reading the post is not signed in, but this will be in the future.

What you will see are some shop items at the bottom of the page, where we detect product words being used in a thread. Hopefully unobtrusive, and useful in context rather than annoying.  :)

Dan

• Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2013, 07:54:32 am »

Can you describe the process you follow please? Where do you copy the link from, and where and how do you paste it? And what is the problem? Does it not paste at all, or paste in the wrong format, or something else?

Ta,

D.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2013, 08:18:31 am »
right click copy appears to work fine. when I try to insert this link (that one was from the address bar in a different tab) then insert it into my post right click does never come up with the option paste (just back,forward, reload...). To check if it's me I used the same process with the same link into an email and hey presto, right click and there is the paste command  ??? ??? ??? :&>

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2013, 08:44:54 am »
What you will see are some shop items at the bottom of the page, where we detect product words being used in a thread. Hopefully unobtrusive, and useful in context rather than annoying.  :)
No problem with that - useful even  :thumbsup:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Dan

• Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2013, 09:27:24 am »
right click copy appears to work fine. when I try to insert this link (that one was from the address bar in a different tab) then insert it into my post right click does never come up with the option paste (just back,forward, reload...). To check if it's me I used the same process with the same link into an email and hey presto, right click and there is the paste command  ??? ??? ??? :&>

Which browser and operating system are you using please?

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2013, 09:53:38 am »
Mozilla on Win 7 :&>

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2013, 10:05:23 am »
Same symptoms for me - only sometimes it seems to work - I use Mozilla on Windows 2000 (I know, I know, almost medieval...)

Dan

• Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2013, 12:02:18 pm »
Apparently the right-click copy/paste problem is an issue with the editor the forum software uses:

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=504391.0

I'll keep looking for a solution, in the meantime I'm afraid you'll need to grin and bear it.  :(

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2013, 12:47:46 pm »
will labouriously type any precious links by hand, what a chore  :D
thanks, Dan  :&>

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS