Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: HELP NEEDED  (Read 4059 times)

jacoblambuk

• Joined Oct 2012
HELP NEEDED
« on: November 16, 2013, 08:51:55 pm »
Hi i have a llama female about 8 years old she is not feeling very well she came up to me this morning and st oped then tripped picked her self up then walked away then as i followed her she stopped head down hunched up body bum in the air front down and trying to push and scream at the same time as she is pushing she pees a little she keeps on doing this i thought she might be pregnant because she been in with a male for more than a year she also rubs her head on the floor I'm just trying to give as much as i can i called the vet out he didn't think she was having a cria he thought it might be a water works infection ?? .

HappyHippy

Re: HELP NEEDED
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 02:20:46 pm »
I'm afraid I don't know anything about Llama's but it doesn't sound like she's herself  :(
With our pigs, at the first sign of anything that we can't identify the cause of we normally take their temperature. Any variation from the norm (not sure what the norm is for a Llama) needs treatment. Too high indicates an infection of some sort - normally a broad range antibiotic injection and a few days penned in the shed to observe them. If it's low then I'd probably bring her in too and just keep an eye on her.
Your vet should be able to scan her to confirm if she is pregnant and I'd probably keep her separate from the male for the time being - our sows are always separated from the boar in case he hurts her, or any of the piglets inadvertently.
Sorry I can't be of more help - hope she's feeling better soon.
Karen

jacoblambuk

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 07:48:16 pm »
Hi just a update her temperature is normal by the vet not me she has had pain relieve and antibiotics the noises shes been making is stress the vet thinks she is short of vitamin D. We have just found out that alpacas and llamas need vitamin D injections or paste over winter its to do with short day light hours things you learn. I'm getting injection tomorrow lets hope :thinking:

jacoblambuk

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 09:58:26 pm »
Just a update my llama is doing fine now i ended up with 4 different vets 2 from one practice 2 from another the last 2 do llamas and it turned out to be a neck injury after all.

HappyHippy

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 10:48:09 pm »
Glad to hear she's on the mend  :thumbsup:
Thanks for posting  :wave:

jacoblambuk

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2013, 09:13:13 pm »
I'm sorry another update but not a nice one my llama went down and she could not get up we tried every thing she has given up i had to call the vet again. When the vet came we both agreed to P.T.S. sad but we think we did the best thing for her we don't matter. :'(

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2013, 09:18:27 pm »
So sorry to hear this. You did what you could and relieved her from the suffering  :hug:

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2013, 09:31:59 pm »
 :'(    so sorry to hear this  :hug:
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS