Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Breeding sheep?  (Read 2427 times)

Connor

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Northern Ireland
  • Like us on Facbook@ Maddens Poultry
    • Maddens Poultry
    • Facebook
Breeding sheep?
« on: September 14, 2013, 04:52:36 pm »
In a month or two i am getting 3 ewes that i want to put to the tup this year i have been offered 2 year old sheep that have lambed twice or ewe lambs that haven't been lambed yet. What one would be easier lambed and what age can a ewe start to breed at also do i need to do anything to ewe before tupping?
Maddens Poultry- Breed Black and gold silkies Like us on facebook
Maddens plants- Sell veg transplants Find us on facebook!

Contact me if your interested in veg transplants for your veg  patch!

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
Re: Breeding sheep?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2013, 05:12:46 pm »
It all depends on the breed? do you know what they are? Personally I'd do for the two year olds if they have lambed before but I would ask if they had any problems? E.g. Prolapses, rejected lambs. Ask how many lambs they reared each time and what ever you do I would give them the once over. For both ewe lambs and mature ewe, look at their teeth. Are there any missing? do there jaws match up (over or under shot jaws) Check there teats, make sure they are in the right place and only two. Check feet and legs, feel there forelegs for fatty feelings, they should feel smooth and check there feet are hard, correctly formed, not deformed in any way.

you can breed a ewe lamb if its up to weight but there are some people who do not agree as they are still small and immature physically and mentally, so if its your first time having sheep as it sounds wouldn't be a good idea.

When do you plan to put them to the ram? I would dag there back ends out before tupping and get a FEC and worm if needed. 

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2013, 08:42:45 pm »
Get hold of Tim Tyne's book on sheep keeping for smallholders. 

Connor

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Northern Ireland
  • Like us on Facbook@ Maddens Poultry
    • Maddens Poultry
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2013, 09:49:02 am »
Thanks when do you normally put them to the ram i have a friend and he has hes texel ram in with his ewes atm?
Maddens Poultry- Breed Black and gold silkies Like us on facebook
Maddens plants- Sell veg transplants Find us on facebook!

Contact me if your interested in veg transplants for your veg  patch!

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2013, 09:56:08 am »
Well it all depends on when you want to lamb but if you want the standard lambing in april then you put them in with the ram on the 5th nov. If your going to put your ewes to a texel then I wouldn't choose the ewe lambs

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS