Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Shirring chipolata casing onto nozzle - the power of TAS!!!!  (Read 2187 times)

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
Shirring chipolata casing onto nozzle - the power of TAS!!!!
« on: September 22, 2013, 09:45:37 am »
Anybody got any top tips on getting casing onto the nozzle of my sausage stuffer?

I decided to make some cocktail sausages for a party next week using chipolata casing. They didn't come on a spool and I am having a bu**er of a time trying to get them onto my 11mm nozzle. They seem to go on OK but then I can't easily slide them on without holes appearing in the membrane. I have checked and thee casing should fit onto an 11mm nozzle.

Should I put some olive oil on the nozzle or something?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 10:06:18 am by suziequeue »
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
Re: Shirring chipolata casing onto nozzle - the power of TAS!!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 10:07:24 am »
Well - went back after sharing this to put the next one on the nozzle and three have gone on perfectly without any problems. Maybe the first one was just a super narrow one.

Anyway TAS - thanks  :thumbsup: :excited:

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 10:30:38 am »
Make sure you've soaked them in water for long enough the longer they soak the more flexible they'll get. Overnight is ideal but you can get away with just a couple of hours.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2013, 11:06:17 am »
Yes - I think that's the key as these later ones (after I had been struggling for an age with the first one which hadn't soaked for as long) are much easier now. I also ran them through with some water to stretch them out a bit.

Am now proud owner of about 100 "hot and spicy" cocktail sausages  :excited: :excited:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2013, 11:59:07 am »
Am now proud owner of about 100 "hot and spicy" cocktail sausages  :excited: :excited:

You can enter them in the sausage competition at the Scottish Smallholder and Grower Festival :trophy:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS