Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Renting a ram  (Read 7838 times)

Jackie 2

• Joined May 2010
  • North Killingholme
Renting a ram
« on: September 07, 2013, 08:11:57 am »
I have only 6 ewes so its not worth me buying a proven ram so a neighbour is offering him ram for use at £10 per lamb born. Is this good?

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
Re: Renting a ram
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2013, 08:29:51 am »
Well that works out a lot cheaper than buying a ram and keeping it for the year so i'd go for it!

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 08:31:33 am »
That's not bad really for 6 ewes, £50 seems to be the going rate for ram rental I've come across, so you might negotiate down tothat, but I would pay the £60 since the alternatives are a lot more expensive and renting out is a risk for the ram owner in terms of disease, injury etc.

moony

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Dent
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2013, 10:45:28 am »
I would prefer to buy a ram lamb and then sell him when the jobs done. I'm not really a fan of borrowing/renting livestock due to the problems that can occur if anything happens to it while its in your possession.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2013, 10:48:50 am »
I was lucky enough to be able to take my girls to the ram last year, rather than the other way round. This worked out very well for me.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2013, 12:04:35 pm »
I'm lucky enough to be able to borrow a good young Shetland ram. But have also owned my own. I must admit I am glad when the borrowed one goes home all still healthy and happy as it is a little bit of a worry while hes in ones care!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2013, 03:20:56 pm »
It really depends on what breed you have, what kind of lambs you want to rear (fat ones or breeding stock for example) and what ram is on offer.

If you only want to raise fat lambs for market/abattoir it seems easier to buy an entire tup lamb (with a good back end on him), and then sell him once he's done his job. Then - in the unfortunate event of him dying on you - you haven't got the headache with your neighbouring farmer, and if you are lucky you can make more money on selling him than he cost you to buy. His services would probably be "free" then too.

Jus make sure that whatever you decide to worm/fluke treat any tup that comes onto your land!

Azzdodd

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2013, 06:15:53 pm »
Buy a store ram lamb....let him do the dirty and then enjoy....my first lambs i did this bought one off preloved a commercial cross ram lamb big lad he tupped then I ate him

Slimjim

• Joined Apr 2013
  • North Devon
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2013, 07:44:54 am »
I have done both hiring and now because I couldn't find one at the right time, I bought one and a companion wether last year. Hiring is the cheaper option ( about £10 per ewe is the going rate around here ) first time round, but providing you've got somewhere to put him when he's not working, it's obviously cheaper in the long run to buy. Another benefit of hiring is that you can experiment with different breeds if you want to. If you purchase for the long term, then obviously you won't be able to keep any of his lambs for breeding.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2013, 09:32:15 am »
If all your ewes have twins you'll be paying £120.  I'd have thought you could pick up a perfectly acceptable tup lamb for that, then sell him or eat him afterwards.

What breed of tup are you wanting to use?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2013, 09:42:26 am »
I've rented rams and I paid £5 per lamb born (dead or alive).

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2013, 01:16:35 pm »
If all your ewes have twins you'll be paying £120.  I'd have thought you could pick up a perfectly acceptable tup lamb for that, then sell him or eat him afterwards.

Agreed. And if you get fond of him, or are particularly impressed by his offspring, then you can keep him for subsequent years at no extra expense.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS