Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: New Member - Warwickshire  (Read 2633 times)

RaspberryRose

• Joined Aug 2013
New Member - Warwickshire
« on: August 31, 2013, 08:02:02 pm »
Hello all

I'd like help and advice please.  I'm incredibly lucky to have gained a small piece of land with a building on which has planning permission for a farm shop.  The land is pretty overgrown and it all needs a lot of work, but it's nothing which I'm not prepared to do.

I wasn't sure which section to post this in, so as I'm new, it's all here.

I have the passion to do this so I'm not having any negative thoughts.  I fully understand that although the plot of land is only 2.6 acres it's still going to be hard to keep on top off.

Until I get going I am going to join a local growers club and buy fruit and veg in to sell, but my main question is this.

For the first year trading (April to November 2014) what should I look to grow?  I ask because I don't want to have too many different things to look after.  I'm a great believer in starting small and doing something properly.

On site there is the farm shop building with water and electric,  large greenhouses, but I think only one is serviceable for the first year and they will then need replacing.  There is also a much larger water supply to the land.  The land is on a busy main road and requires fencing.

Any help and advice would really be appreciated.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: New Member - Warwickshire
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 10:37:20 am »
Goodness, tha sounds like a wonderful project :thumbsup: I can't offer any advice but welcome and good luck with the shop :)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 10:45:29 am »
Sorry I can't offer advice but welcome to the forum. I am sure there will be lots of useful info from others on here later
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Thestig

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 07:48:46 am »
This sounds a wonderful opportunity.... exactly like the property on the Ragley Estate which we have also looked at  ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 10:52:17 am »
Ragley is near us - if it is that property/land.   In fact I'm doing a charity walk there next weekend for Macmillan  ;D  Beautiful part of the country - good luck  :fc:
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Miss Piggy

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Cardigan Bay, Ceredigion
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 02:14:19 pm »
Hi sounds like you must be close to the Vale of Evesham, although a lot of that is Worcs. I grew up in Warwickshire on the edge of the Cotswolds/Vale of Evesham. Good luck with your new venture. :wave:

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2013, 03:06:49 pm »

:wave:
Sounds a great spot  ...... I'm no gardener but garlic seems to be a crop that sells from what I've read.
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2013, 08:24:35 pm »
Hello, also not a gardener, but good luck!  I do remember my dad saying that he had cleared a good area of ground effectively by covering it in balck plastic then planting potatoes every so often through slits in it - not as much as 2.4 acres, though!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2013, 09:30:44 pm »
 :wave: What a great opportunity. Welcome to the forum from Shropshire.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS