Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How old is too old for a kid to be still taking milk?  (Read 1979 times)

Thrift Bee

• Joined Aug 2013
  • Co. Wicklow
How old is too old for a kid to be still taking milk?
« on: September 18, 2013, 08:16:55 pm »
A more experienced goat person told me that i would run into problems because my kid wasn't weaned by 6 months. He told me that when the kids mum is kidded again, the original kid will revert to suckling again.

Does anyone have any experience with a similar situation.

We are separating them at night, but the youngster is definitly still snacking during the day. Will she just stop in time?  Its quite difficult to ensure the youngster is eating enough solids because Mum is such a greedy guts.
Thrift Bee

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
Re: How old is too old for a kid to be still taking milk?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 08:35:20 pm »
Strange you should ask this. I have sheep and I can take the lambs away at around 4-5 months for 2 weeks then put them back and they won't suck. However, I took my kids away around. 5-6 months and I out back approx 4-6 weeks later and am sure I saw one suckling or trying to. Mum has dried up so hopefully it won't continue.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 08:42:40 pm »
Let the doe sort it out - mine have never been backward in letting their kids know when enough was enough!

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 08:54:04 pm »
Mine went back to suckling last year after a 3 week break but I was milking the doe, hadn't dried her off. Soft thing that she is she was quite happy to let them and to let another does twins suckle this year.  Even had pregnancy toxeamia before the other doe kidded though she wasn't pregnant.

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2013, 09:17:48 am »
Mum is letting kid suckle but she is fairly dry. She is really soppy. It might just be a comfort thing as he was weaned younger than others.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2013, 10:34:15 am »
She'll soon boot him off when the next ones come along... :)
Little Blue

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS