Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Repetitve strain  (Read 2449 times)

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
Repetitve strain
« on: September 03, 2013, 10:39:28 pm »
iv got repetitive strain from using the laptop too much. my whole forearm plus hand aches alot and has done for months and i need to work from home on the computer so its a bit of a pest.
any ideas how to help it? seems a bit daft going to the doctors over it. im not a fan of medication if i can avoid it. maybe strapping would help?
can i buy a hand-held mouse to put on my computer? im sure the touch-mouse thingy is part of the problem. im a computer dunce so no idea if that would work.

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
Re: Repetitve strain
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 11:16:18 pm »
you can certainly get a normal mouse and/or full size keyboard that will plug into the usb, or if you're willing to spend a little extra, you can get cordless ones (though I'd probably keep losing the mouse in that case). If you're running windows xp or later then they'll probably be plug & play.

I occasionally use a proper keyboard and mouse if I'm doing an extended stint on the laptop.

Shropshirelass

• Joined Jul 2012
  • South Shropshire
  • A country lass who loves it all!
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 11:34:58 pm »
There's also voice recognition software you can use on things like word & the internet to save on typing - don't ask me the names of the software but a friend who's a bit of a computer geek mentioned they were getting it for their mother who has problems with her hands x

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 07:49:43 am »
I have a gel wrist support in front of the laptop to raise the angle I work from.  Also get a separate mouse and alternate right and left hand use, a vertical one is also an option. 

The key to repetitive strain is not to repeat the same action indefinitely, slight alterations are often easy to implement but you just get in a bad habit and continue it til it hurts  ::)
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 09:51:09 am »
I've trained myself to use my left hand for the mouse so I can swap if I feel it starting.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 09:55:47 am »
As others have said, switch hands, switch fingers, take breaks, get a gel wrist support, get a separate mouse and learn to use it on both sides so you can swap.  Good luck
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2013, 10:07:38 am »
One of the voice recognition programmes is callked 'Dragon'.  It was the one recommended by the occ health at work.  If you don't want to buy a a wrist support (I always use one at work), try rolling up a tea towel or small towel and resting your wrist on that.

renee

• Joined Jan 2013
  • jämtland
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2013, 07:33:44 am »
as the others say, rest and changing hand but also I find checking out the angle at which I hold my hand and swopping chair heights often to change the angle. Hope you soon feel better.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2013, 07:39:24 am »
It might be worth having it properly diagnosed. If it's carpal tunnel it will need different treatment.
Repetitive strain I would stabilse with a self-heating wrap from the chemist and slap a lot of ibuprofen cream on at night. :&>

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS