Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: photosensitivity - anyone had experience of this?  (Read 5499 times)

ewesaidit

• Joined Aug 2011
photosensitivity - anyone had experience of this?
« on: September 04, 2013, 08:39:33 am »
Hi
One of my zwartbles gimmers (the best one of course!) has had a swollen nose, from the bridge down to her muzzle, broken skin across the same area and rubbed off skin on her muzzle with some cracked skin on a nostril.  This is all on her white blaze.    Vet has suggested photosensitivity (from a description on the phone) and to keep her in during the day and she can have some metacam.    He said normally would use steroids, however, she is possibly a few weeks pregnant at the moment so he said we therefore can't use that.     I've sprayed the broken skin with Engemycin but it looks 'split' and dry.  A friend suggested Sudocrem.
Anyone else have experience of this?    Any suggestions given that she might be in very early stages of pregnancy?   I don't suppose having your face sprayed including up a nostril would be a non-stressful event mind you!
Should also say - not aware of any St. John's wort or other plant that may have caused this in the field, however ......  there are a couple of small smatterings of mushrooms - some white ones and some brown ones - could this be a cause?      No other sheep affected and never had anything like this before.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
Re: photosensitivity - anyone had experience of this?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 09:28:34 am »
Yeah i'd go with sudocream for any dry and cracking skin complaints.

irenemcc

• Joined Sep 2013
  • H
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 09:57:46 am »
We have had problems with photosensitivity in sheep 2 years ago, initially with a Lleyn tup lamb.  Our vet said that it can be a side effect of liver damage, primarily caused by liver fluke.  We were advised to keep him inside in the dark as much as possible, to treat for fluke, to give high dose multivit injections for 1 week to support liver function and cover with penstrep or similar antibiotics as the broken skin can be an entry route for infection.  It is known as "yellowses" in cheviot sheep.  The lamb had very swollen ears and nose initially which then became his whole face swollen and there was some seepage and he was constantly rubbing.  Once they have suffered this level of liver damage, they need careful monitoring for fluke.  The rest of the flock should also be treated.  Hope this helps or at least is something to discuss with vet.  We had never seen this before despite having kept sheep for 40 years but always Blackfaces before not white faced sheep.

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 01:51:12 pm »
From experience aloe vera gel is soothing and won't dry out. Also lots of antiseptic creams out there. We use Teisen which is wonderful and they seem to like the smell (eucalyptus) of it too so don't run a mile! Can be used on very sore and raw skin without aggravating the problem. We've used both on sore noses.

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 03:49:13 pm »
Not experienced it in sheep, but my old arab horse used to get this on his white legs and white face.  He had some horrible scabs and sore skin.  I used Sudocream and also calomine lotion.

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 06:06:46 pm »
It is a horrid thing to deal with.  Agree with aloe vera for soothing/healing - jelly, spray or both.

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2013, 07:41:22 pm »
Unfortunately I have been here, due to some scum dumping their garden waste in  a field and the rams eating it (yew and other stuff in the waste)
Lost 3 tups and 2 had to be sold as culls once they recovered (lost £3k I would estimate) ----steroids and KEEP THEM INSIDE ---cream to help the skin heal. It can take a long time to get right again

ewesaidit

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2013, 08:23:51 pm »
 :wave: Thanks for your replies everyone, much appreciated.
I think I'll use sudocrem first while it's 'raw' and then move on to aloe vera gel once it starts to heal over?
Never had a problem with fluke but I do 'precautionary' dosing - a couple of times with Fasinex in the winter and a summer dose with Flukiver.  When I checked my records they were all done with Flukiver on 16th June.    The gimmer otherwise is a picture of health, in good condition and perky.  Would you treat again for fluke so soon after (in the summer)?? 
Does anyone have a view on whether or not mushrooms in the field may have caused this?   Even if not, are mushrooms a problem for sheep anyway?   (there's only a few dotted about)
The sheep have access to a lightly molassed  minvit tub - could that somehow be the cause of the problem.
Poor girl, her face is a proper mess  :( 
Thanks again for the advice, fingers crossed she starts to heal soon.

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2013, 12:40:09 am »
I know some bog plants have been known to cause photosensitivity. Have your sheep been near any marshy areas?
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

ewesaidit

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2013, 09:08:24 pm »
Thanks Tudful Tamworths
Not marshy land and not aware of any unusual plants - still convinced it's to do with the mushrooms!!
Does anyone know if there is a sunblock that could safely be applied on the white bits of this sheep? (might put separate post on this)
thanks again

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS