Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheep identification  (Read 4119 times)

moony

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Dent
Sheep identification
« on: October 08, 2013, 01:43:08 pm »
I have a question regarding tagging. Thanks to a dog I now have one sheep with only one ear and one with both removed. Presumably in the one with an ear remaining I can just double tag that ear but what do I do with the one with no ears?

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Sheep identification
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 02:12:44 pm »
I have a question regarding tagging. Thanks to a dog I now have one sheep with only one ear and one with both removed. Presumably in the one with an ear remaining I can just double tag that ear but what do I do with the one with no ears?

Probably the best option to comply would be a Bolus, small round tag they swallow. Altho normally Bolused sheep have a single tag to show they are Bolused. But it would be the nearest you could get to meeting the regs, and I'm not sure the ear tag for Bolused sheep is compulsory, might want to check with council animal health on that or Deathra 'help" line...:-)

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 02:49:35 pm »
I understand pastern bands are approved under EU law whether you can get them for sheep not sure...
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2013, 02:54:18 pm »
How about asking DEFRA?  I'd be interested to know their answer because I have a ewe that's torn out 5 tags by putting her head through the fence to eat hawthorn leaves in the hedge and has very little ear left on either side.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2013, 03:06:01 pm »
Yes a definitive answer from the mouth of the oracle itself would be good.   Hoping it won't be 'cull them'  :o :sheep: :sheep:

I too have some sheep with shredded ears, but they're older and not going anywhere so their replacement tags live in the house with their pedigrees.   Tags inevitably have their drawbacks, but so do boli (which are easily coughed up) and pastern bands (which could constrict a growing leg).

I'm sorry to hear that your sheep were attacked by a dog.  A slight comfort is that the dog may have swallowed the existing tags and will have some problems ejecting them from the other end.  One way to identify the culprit - scan it !

Please let us know what Defra decide.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

zarzar

• Joined Jul 2012
  • kent
  • Z.Glenfield :)
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2013, 08:13:09 pm »
I have seen some of our local sheep with a collar on containing a tag that looks like one you would use on a cow as they seem to shred their ears to. Pic is off google thou
1 cat,2 thoroughbred horses,1 dog, handfull of bird various types and hoping to get sheep again

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2013, 04:32:53 am »
They look like milk sheep - Frieslands.  So probably a dairy herd, and managed similarly to a bovine dairy herd, where collars are more common.

I wonder if it's in the UK?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2013, 06:32:22 am »
Sorry to hear that, moony.  I, too would like to know what the answer from the powers that be is.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2013, 12:50:04 pm »
Seen the odd lamb sold at market with tag tied around neck

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2013, 02:20:45 pm »
I've just been ordering more tags and noticed that that also sell collars for sheep with tags that attach at Shearwell Data.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2013, 03:38:52 pm »
I've just been ordering more tags and noticed that that also sell collars for sheep with tags that attach at Shearwell Data.
...aww, and bells!!!  ;D

zarzar

• Joined Jul 2012
  • kent
  • Z.Glenfield :)
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2013, 09:07:30 pm »
My girls would go made if a bell attached to them lol as we have one that rings for feed time (they would think they getting feed all day long lol)
1 cat,2 thoroughbred horses,1 dog, handfull of bird various types and hoping to get sheep again

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS