Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: A plum surprise!  (Read 4366 times)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
A plum surprise!
« on: August 18, 2013, 11:09:12 pm »
I have a friend's lab staying for a couple of weeks and decided to let him have a romp with Belle in the  front paddock - I think I should start calling it an orchard  :excited: :excited:  I just found and picked 30 plums! Absolutely delicious - well the first 6 are anyway, the others aren't quite so ready but if I left them they'd grow legs.  Must keep an eye on the apples as they are doing well too, and they were taken off the trees last year before they were ripe, and thrown all around the field, lane and driveway - guess if they ere too sour for the thieves to eat they weren't going to leave the rest of them long enough for anyone else to enjoy  :rant:.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
Re: A plum surprise!
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, 11:45:55 pm »
Well done - the first fruit is always exciting.  Enjoy  :thumbsup:
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 03:21:55 am »
Mmmm, I love plums. I don't have any here but had a small tree in my previous place that always had loads of fruit.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Bert

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Isle of Mull
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 07:06:54 am »
I've got 3 plum trees and not a lot of fruit between them. What fruit I do have is still green. So I'm very jealous as some lucky people are eating plums already.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 08:59:19 am »
love a fruity surprise!
Have been joking about my "small pear" - thought there was only one (an improvement on last year when they were all blown off!) but turns out to be about 9!  Very excited... ;) 
Little Blue

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 02:55:04 pm »
We have cleared our heron plum trees (they are may favourites!) and now have to wait on the Vic's. I kind of go off of plums this time of year  :-J
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2013, 09:00:37 pm »
Must keep an eye on the apples as they are doing well too, and they were taken off the trees last year before they were ripe, and thrown all around the field, lane and driveway - guess if they ere too sour for the thieves to eat they weren't going to leave the rest of them long enough for anyone else to enjoy  :rant: .

Don't people that do that sort of thing make you mad? My mum used to have a bungalow on a corner plot so it had a very long frontage. She had planted hundreds of daffodils and they were all opening nicely until the day she looked out to find someone had ripped the heads off loads and dumped them on the pavement. She said she would have minded if they had taken a load home for their mum. It was the wanton destruction that upset her.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2013, 10:07:04 pm »
I have to admit I was angry, but I picked them all up and made chutney with them. :innocent:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2013, 09:57:27 pm »
Well done.  ;D

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2013, 12:22:52 am »
Oooh, much check mine. I've got baby plum trees - planted last winter - but the Victoria produced a handful of fruit so I've left a couple on there just to try them. We had the first couple of ripe figs today so the time must be nigh!

And, yes, wanton vandalism is awful. My parents had the same a few years back with daffs planted on their front bank.

H

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2013, 10:13:40 am »
I have 2 plum trees but one has silverleaf :( so on the advice of our Orchard Group I have dismantled one part of it to try and slow the spread but its days are numbered sadly.  The crop on it is still reasonable despite the summer prune it got, but they're green yet as are the ones on the other wee tree at the far end of the orchard which are quite heavy crop this year and very welcome since last was such a wipeout all round and it'll soon be the one and only plum :(
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS