Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: quick chicken run  (Read 3024 times)

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
quick chicken run
« on: August 29, 2013, 01:33:24 pm »
hi
when we move in October, I need to be able to put up a large chicken run very quickly but don't really want to put a permanent one up until I decide where everything is going to go. I'm effectively losing a pen and only have enough moveable oens for about half of them

Anyone used release pen netting? Is it easy to use, tension-the best way of fixing it to posts etc etc

TIA

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
Re: quick chicken run
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 01:40:02 pm »
we have used chicken wire and wooden posts, put up quickly and can be moved and reused without much hassle.
a post rammer (hand one) staples and a hammer are all you need. if you trim the feathers it only needs to be half height.

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 02:10:07 pm »
Heras fencing is ideal for temporary pens.

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 02:20:38 pm »
heras is very good if you can get the panels cheap enough

depends what size and how many pens you need we have had good results with light weight deer netting wooden pole and light wires to support it all.

we also install these in central scotland if required  :excited: :excited: :excited:

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 02:59:56 pm »
We made our temporary runs with garden fruit netting attached to electric fence stakes. The netting was 5ft "high" so we attached the top edge to several wires and gathered them all together to reach a tall pole in the centre of the run. A bit like the first stages of a Big Top going up. This meant that the top of the fence was angled inwards and stopped the hens flying out.

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 03:11:57 pm »
I considered Heras before and it wasn't the cost of the panels, but cost of shipping them that was prohibitive. I ended up making my own large  panels which are great and will be used for one pen (on the lawn lol) but want a second, larger pen that will be across some rough ground. I also don't really have the time to make more panels before we go. I like your bird netting idea Possum but the pen I have in mind has various trees/bushes in it and very rough  grass on one sider so I think it would drive me crackers getting it up.

deer netting does sound interesting-bloomer do you have a price p/m including instal? Not sure of exact measurements right now-this would be for ML12.

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2013, 03:35:38 pm »
depends on final spec it will go accross rough ground guide price is 10pound per metre fully installed its 6ft high and great for chooks

i stole the idea from Dan and Rosemary and have installed at my own place and for Andrew on here...

exact price depends on configuration etc.

you can pm me any time for more info.

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2013, 10:23:19 am »
cool ta-will have a think :)

anyone know where I can get hold of some hardwood chips for another run?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS