Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Help needed getting tagging right for slaughter  (Read 2650 times)

Frieslandfilly

• Joined Apr 2009
Help needed getting tagging right for slaughter
« on: August 28, 2013, 01:32:08 pm »
I have 6 lambs to go to slaughter 4 boys & 2 girls, not on holding of birth, the two girls came with two tags and the boys only one, do they go to slaughter just like that or do I need a slaughter tag with my flock number?

2. I have two 2yr old ewes that I also want to take to slaughter, not on holding of birth, one with the original tag and one has lost her tag, what do I do about tagging those?

I have tried to fathom out from the guidelines, but just keep getting in a muddle  ???

[/size][size=78%]I am in the UK [/size]
[/size]
[/size][size=78%]If you can help me work it out thank you in advance [/size] :excited: [/size][size=78%] [/size]

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
Re: Help needed getting tagging right for slaughter
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 02:02:48 pm »
1)  They go as they are.  No extra tags needed
2) The ewe with the lost tag needs replacements which you can order.  If you know her original number/details you can get replacements with that number on, or, you get tags with your flock number and individual number which might be easier.

I had the same problem and found Shearwell Data tags excellent and the staff very helpful and friendly.

Frieslandfilly

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 02:34:59 pm »
Thank you very much, heads buzzing with so much at the minute I cant think straight  ;D

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 02:56:40 pm »
Your 2 two year old ewes should both be double tagged, has the first one got two tags, or just one?

If you are replacing them, the replacement tags should be red, and should be recorded in the replacement part of your flock register - if you know the original tag number that was lost record that there, if you don't, it is fine to write 'unknown'.

That is assuming the English rules are the same as the Scottish ones...

I am not surprised you are confused, it is NOT straightforward.

shropshire_blue

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Dorset BH21
    • Making Life Exciting Again...
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 10:54:22 pm »
Related to this (and sorry for the hijack!) if a ewe has lost one of her tags do I replace both tags with red ones, or just the lost one?

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 12:09:14 pm »
If the sheep is still on its holding of birth, you can order one replacement tag.  If not, i.e. you have bought it in, you should remove the remaining tag, retag it with two red tags and record this in your flock record.

In reality, we would remove, retag with red and record anyway, because we keep a small stock of red tags in, so it saves reordering.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2013, 12:58:40 pm »
If the sheep is still on its holding of birth, you can order one replacement tag.  If not, i.e. you have bought it in, you should remove the remaining tag, retag it with two red tags and record this in your flock record.

In reality, we would remove, retag with red and record anyway, because we keep a small stock of red tags in, so it saves reordering.

We do too. Dog nail clippers have been the safe and quick way we've found to remove old tags easily.

shropshire_blue

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Dorset BH21
    • Making Life Exciting Again...
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2013, 07:47:11 pm »
Thank you!

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2013, 07:48:25 pm »
Related to this (and sorry for the hijack!) if a ewe has lost one of her tags do I replace both tags with red ones, or just the lost one?
    You can buy an identical replacement tag ( home bred or purchased ) or if homebred you can apply two new matching tags from your own tags  or if  purchased two new matching tags in red

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS