Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: This bizarre country that we live in  (Read 5966 times)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
Re: This bizarre country that we live in
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2009, 01:55:09 pm »
What public transport? They have just scrapped half of the timetable in Fife (and Tayside, as far as I know), saying that only OAPs who do not pay use them...
I'm glad the hospital parking charges are to be scrapped, like the bridge toll, thanks to the SNP for that!  :&>

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2009, 12:03:23 pm »
Sadly at our local hospital - Ninewells, the Parking Charges will not be scrapped as it is run by a private copmany.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 12:15:12 pm by jameslindsay »

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2009, 06:42:08 pm »
Well the public transport need to be more affordable for a start, We are not to bad here has T get a bus pass plus one so we just have to pay one fee if all three of us want to go somewhere on the bus but we couldn't afford it if it was three adults each time.

Tullywood Farm

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2009, 10:34:29 am »
In the West of Ireland we do not have public transport at all.

There is one bus from Keadue Village to Sligo, every Friday, and thats it.

The rest of the time you have to walk or cycle or drive - a car is a must where we live as we are 12 miles from any town with a train station, and taxi fares are one euro per mile, plus you pay for the return journey they have to make, i.e. 24 euro to the local small town such as Boyle or Carrick-on-Shannon, and the same back -  :o

Not worth setting up a transport system as it is a very underpopulated area - and I hope it stays that way for many moons ;D ;D ;D ;D

Julie

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Muiravonside, near Linlithgow
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2009, 11:58:50 am »
it's a bit of a chicken and egg situation (although that assumes the government want to reduce congestion and the amount of traffic on the road and not simply rake in cash!)

We have a poor public transport infrastructure - especially if you live outwith a city.

to get people out of their cars they need to put the infrastructure in place to give viable alternatives. How do they pay for that? well, money from the public transport itself, but also road tax revenues should be used, and i think the transport companies who are making the profits should be taxed to pay for it too.

and yeah, the people who drive and park in congested towns/cities should have to pay too.

I don't think passing it onto businesses is the right way to do it, rather the "driver" should be the one who pays

but the upshot of it all will be that people will simply desert town centres where it's either congested or expensive or impractical to get into with a car (due to lack of affordable parking)

this means cars will flood to out of town shopping - where there is FREE and plentiful parking!! So, maybe free parking shouldn't be an option for any retail park/supermarket and all the revenue from it is put towards paying for public transport services to/from the sites to alleviate some of the traffic

either way - it won't be free. we'll pay for it all somehow

that's why i shop online, it's a lot less hassle!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS