Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: new boer bucklling  (Read 2235 times)

maddy

• Joined Jul 2012
new boer bucklling
« on: October 30, 2013, 08:03:17 am »
How is the best way to introduce my new boer buckling who is only 8 months old to my 6 established grouchy bossy females.  We have had him for nearly 3 weeks and have partitioned him off in a separate pen so that he can see and sniff the girls.

I had intended to just put the girls in one at a time when they came into season but with my last male we just let him run with the girls which was nicer for him and I would quite like to do it this way as well.

I did tentatively let him out and it was mayhem - he seemed to be coming off worse so I put him back in on his own again.

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
Re: new boer bucklling
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 07:39:21 pm »
I put mine with 2 wether kids in next paddock. Left for a few hours but as one of the kids hopped over the fence somehow I just opened the gate. They were fine and he covered them all within 5 days!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 08:51:33 pm »
If there is quite a size difference I would definitely supervise the matings, you may need to use a step for the boy... ::) , and as long as he is "next door" it will also give a you a better idea as to when he does the biz.

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 09:30:36 pm »
If you keep taking him away everytime he's trying to sort out his place in the herd he will spend all the time having to restablish his place all over again each time. Give him plenty of space and bolt holes and he will settle in

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2013, 11:19:48 am »
I always mate in hand, I like to know for sure who is covered and when.
Graham

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2013, 12:29:58 pm »
I always mate in hand, I like to know for sure who is covered and when.

Anyone use a raddle harness?

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2013, 03:14:12 pm »
If we used a harness they would all be marked as both William and Hobnob mount the girls even if they are not in season  ::)
Graham

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2013, 03:50:52 pm »
Mated a goatling last night/this morning - SHE was trying to mount the boy  ::)  (he is still a boy), so it was necessary to hold her and make sure he got on properly...
If mine had a raddle on - his companion wether would be coloured all over... ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS