Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Land for a miniature pony?  (Read 3815 times)

mrplattypus

• Joined Jan 2014
  • Tamworth, Staffordshire
    • Facebook
Land for a miniature pony?
« on: June 11, 2014, 01:20:10 pm »
I'm not talking about a Shetland here, i'm talking about a miniature shetland, i think shetlands need just more than an acre each season, anyone know how much a Miniature shetland would need and how often we would have to rotate it to a new pasture?
Thank you

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Land for a miniature pony?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 01:41:18 pm »
It really depends on the land. If you have lush grass you will have to really restrict them to avoid laminitis.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

HallePalomino

• Joined Aug 2013
  • Forth Valley, Scotland
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 12:01:20 am »
I would strip graze in roughly quarter or half acre sections. As said above you need to monitor intake as they are very prone to laminitis. That way you just need to rotate it when you see the grass has gone down or it has turned to mud (depending on the weather). Minis practically live on fresh air, if you find they're losing weight get a vet out - mines lost condition over the winter despite getting plenty hay, turns out she has Cushings. You don't want rolls of fat either, it may look cute but is really dangerous for mini shetlands. If you do feel the need to give any hard feed alongside the grass, make sure it's feet friendly - HappyHoof is laminitis friendly.

sheepandponies

• Joined Nov 2009
  • Galston
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 07:43:15 am »
Like people, there are some who 'do' better than others, so it will be a bit of just getting to know your pony(s) and if there isn't enough grass to give them hay......in the summer you can split your paddock up with electric fence which also makes picking up the dung easier.  If they are putting on weight then give them some exercise, walk them out or get them on a lunge.  Just the same as if they were 17hh!!! :excited:

HappyHippy

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 12:21:36 am »
Can't give you advice on space/feed requirements, but I would urge you not to keep a single equine - they get lonely and even little 'uns can jump fences to get to nearby neighbours  ;)
Good luck, the mini's look super cute  :love: Saw one being lifted out of a horse box at a show once and also photo's of same horse when he wandered into the living room one day and lay on the couch  ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS