Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sawfly on birch and gooseberries  (Read 3297 times)

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
Sawfly on birch and gooseberries
« on: July 07, 2013, 08:40:01 am »
I had a couple of years where sawfly hit my gooseberry bushes, they're fine this year but the same two years plus this year they've wrecked my birch tree's leaves almost to the wood overnight.  I sprayed the blighters and they're gone but I am wondering why they hit it and not the gooseberries this time, or whether there is some other factor like eggs overwintering in the roots that I need to treat? 

Is it a good idea to spray the gooseberries in case they're on the way or wait til I see them, by which time it's too late they're so fast :o

PS it's the caterpillars I mean, not the flies themselves, wee green things all over the place :o

Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
Re: Sawfly on birch and gooseberries
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 05:01:42 pm »
Ellie, I'm not sure if that's the same fly - as far as I know (I might be wrong though!) gooseberry sawfly does go for currants, too. Never heard of birch attacks. :&>

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 06:17:52 pm »
The sawfly overwinters in the top 2 inches of soil under the gooseberry and currant bushes so if you don't have any on those you got rid of them last year by spraying.  But keep an eye as there may be the odd one or two around.  If I see any eaten leaves I get out the sprayer with fairy liquid and water, loosens the caterpillars grip (surface tension on the leaves changes) and they fall off.  They don't seem able to climb back up.  I have some berry drop but I've mainly managed to save most of this year's crop..  You can remove the soil once the berries and leaves are off and replace it so the sawfly can't lay theri eggs in the bush again.  Not sure what to do with the soil though - don't think I'd compost it.  Maybes flood it with something to kill them then compost it or leave for next year - anybody know?

Like Kerstin I think the birch is a different beastie.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2013, 04:15:30 pm »
Gooseberry gives your garden extremely different look.
Odd post?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Floyd

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2013, 07:25:32 pm »
I would say American humour.  But as the join date is August 2013 probably some type of forum BOT that has got past security.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2013, 08:52:09 pm »
I've reported it

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS