Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Where's the best place to sell a handsome ram?  (Read 2608 times)

Ray Baxter

• Joined Aug 2013
  • The Scottish Borders
  • Proud to be a smallholder
    • New Mains Smallholding
Where's the best place to sell a handsome ram?
« on: August 18, 2013, 07:44:30 pm »
Hi we have a shearling ram that we intend to sell. He is a pedigree Zwartble and MV Accredited - a really fine example. The question is where should we sell him?

Option 1 - At a general sheep sale at Newton St Boswell's (local)
Option 2 - At the Zwartble pedigree sale (stirling)

Do you think that there will be a difference in sale value between these options? We would prefer to use our local auction because it is nearer than Stirling.

Any views welcome, cheers, Ray

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
Re: Where's the best place to sell a handsome ram?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, 07:56:09 pm »
There is a third option which is the Kelso ram sales I think it is on the 13th September and would be local to you.
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, 08:01:34 pm »
Entries are closed for Kelso now, the ballot has been done.  I would have said the best place would have been Carlisle, but that sale has just been.  If he is a good example, I would take him to Stirling - I think it is unlikely that there will be many people at Boswells for a Zwartble.  Good luck, I love our Zwartble tup, they are super.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013, 08:17:24 pm »
I think it's always worth taking them to the pedigree or rare breed sales. You get much more interest and better prices than the ordinary commercial auctions, if you're selling something out of the ordinary.

There's a rare breed sale at Carlisle on 21st Sept but the entries had to be in last Monday. Might be worth ringing them? Or I'd go for Stirling.

Yes, I have much more local marts than Carlisle or York, but it's really worth me travelling the extra distance (I have Shetlands these days).

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2013, 08:48:10 pm »
Oh drat, dam and blast it.....................he's exactly what I'm looking for  ::)  but I live in Wales .... bother  :rant:
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2013, 08:56:01 pm »
There is some good stock at Carlyle but not garante ed price i seen some hebradean they was placed and only fetched £50 pound each. They was worth a lot more lanak is a nother. I put some good stock in thainstone for a Friend they looked good but mine made more. I was dawn in lothian at Ann brotherton zwartbles we had lunch then looked at the stock for sale it was sold Art £200 a head so a good ram pedigree.....
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 11:12:37 am by Victorian Farmer »

allyb

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2013, 10:37:59 pm »
Hi Ray
If he is  as good specimen as you say I would take him to Stirling Zwartble sale. The only problem you will have as everyone will just about have all there pedigree ewes tupped by then so not really looking for a tup to use this year. I have tup lamb entered and going on last yrs prices he probably will be coming home again. There is the chance he will make better money at Stirling than at  a normal ram sale though. Hope this helps   

Ray Baxter

• Joined Aug 2013
  • The Scottish Borders
  • Proud to be a smallholder
    • New Mains Smallholding
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2013, 09:18:57 am »
Many thanks to all. The discussion has really helped. Taking everything into account we have decided to take the boy to Stirling

Ray

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS