Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Thoughts on putting ewe lambs to the tup this year?  (Read 10314 times)

17AndCounting

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Kent
Re: Thoughts on putting ewe lambs to the tup this year?
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2013, 10:15:43 pm »

We have 2 Texel cross ewe lambs we're planning to put with our Shetand ram this year; and 2 Heb Blue Faced Leicester cross ewe lambs that we're going to try with our Heb ram. He's a lamb too so let's hope he's up to the job.

We've also got some 2year or older ewes who've lambed before that will also go in with the rams. Hopefully they'll impart some knowledge to the younger girls!

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2013, 12:52:44 pm »
What age would the lambs be you are thinking of running with the tup ?

April Born this year!

thank you everyone, you have all given me something to think about!

JulieWall

• Joined Aug 2013
  • Cornhill, Banff
    • The Roundhouse
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2013, 01:12:04 pm »
On the two occasions the tup accidentally got to a ewe lamb I noticed that it stopped her from attaining her full adult size. Even now they are less broad in the back and smaller in height than their twin sisters several years later. Coupled with that, they each had delivery problems with that first lamb. They are still good mothers and produce nice lambs but at what cost?
Even as a big lamb, just think what a better ewe she will make if you let her finish growing?
Permaculture and smallholding, perfect partners
http://theroundhouseforum.co.uk/

smudger

• Joined Jan 2012
  • North Devon/ West Exmoor
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2013, 11:10:45 pm »
I purchased 10 tupped Lleyn lambs for lambing this year from mid april but actually they lambed first 2 weeks May, which was well after my own flock had lambed. On this experience I would do it again. I did purchase  scanned singles and only fed hard feed about 1 week before I brought them in (more to train them to the bucket - they had obviously NEVER been fed).  We experienced 1  barren ewe (lost after scanning), 1 died / head first (probably my fault, if I had got there earlier I may have saved it) and another head first but saved it as I assisted earlier. Output 8 / 10 with 7/10 easy or non assisted lambings.

The breeder was experienced and I trusted his judgement that the ewes were well grown enough to do this ie 2/3rd mature weight.  However, as I have 2 flocks (shetlands and Lleyns) I will use the shetland tup as much for an easy life / lambing on any ewe lambs going forward.  All my other ewes were gimmers/ first timers and I didn't notice any difference in mothering abilities between them and the hoggs (if anything would put the Lleyns of either age slightly ahead). Its very difficult to look at a lamb which is as big or 90% of dam size and not think they need to be tupped!

PS I'm a novice - 2 ewes last year and 22 this year  before the hoggs lambed.  The key to me is pick EASY LAMBING BREEDS with EXCELLENT MOTHERING ATTRIBUTES! Also help the ewe by penning it for a few days and making sure there is good access to the teats for the lamb.  I kept them as a seperate flock as they lambed later which allowed me to give them a bit extra feed even after turnout. I never gave any creep feed to the lambs.

I can't comment on growth of the 'tupped ewe lambs' v the other untupped ewe lambs I purchased - but it will be an interesting comparison if I get around to it! However I am quite happy to have a 'compact' ewe.
Traditional and Rare breed livestock -  Golden Guernsey Goats, Blackmoor Flock Shetland and Lleyn Sheep, Pilgrim Geese and Norfolk Black Turkeys. Capallisky Irish Sport Horse Stud.

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2013, 05:09:45 pm »
On the two occasions the tup accidentally got to a ewe lamb I noticed that it stopped her from attaining her full adult size. Even now they are less broad in the back and smaller in height than their twin sisters several years later. Coupled with that, they each had delivery problems with that first lamb. They are still good mothers and produce nice lambs but at what cost?
Even as a big lamb, just think what a better ewe she will make if you let her finish growing?

Animals that lamb as ewe lambs will take a couple of years longer to reach mature size---but maybe that isn't a bad thing? Smaller ewes require less maintenance feed and are easier to handle
They are also better mothers if they lamb as ewe lambs---I can back this up with plenty of data collected over the years
The key is in management---
1) wean them a bit earlier (12 weeks ) to give them time to recover
2) Don't let them get too fat before lambing
3) use a good maternal breed rather than a terminal sire breed

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS