Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Strange goings on  (Read 2918 times)

whitby_sam

• Joined Feb 2008
Strange goings on
« on: June 30, 2009, 11:28:10 am »
Went to see my girls (9 week old Marans) this morning and found 2 dead. No signs of predator and although there was blood in the hutch there were no visible wounds on either the dead birds or the remaining 7 live ones. Can't work out whether the blood has been coughed up (no signs of coughing etc in live birds) or has been passed through stools or urine but definitely no wounds on any birds.

Help! Any ideas?

There have been no obvious signs of illness, weakness or odd behaviour. THis has come as a complete shock. Last night we closed the door on 9 healthy happy looking chicks.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 11:30:13 am by whitby_sam »

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Re: Strange goings on
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 11:36:46 am »
That must have been a terrible shock, I am sorry. I have no idea what would have happened but I'm sure someone on here will be able to help. It makes it worse when you have no idea what caused the problem and you just worry about the others. I hope you suffer no more loss. :)

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 12:57:39 pm »
Sorry to hear that, but you need to worm the others for 7 days with flubenvet, just in case its a worm burden! i'm sure knowlegeable peeps will be along soon.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 03:00:20 pm »
what have they been eating any chance of contact with mouse/rat poison.

was there any way in for a predator or rodant they can scare them selves to death was the blood in a corner/ have you had thunder storms or other loud noise that could have spooked them.

if they were in a corner block them off with a bit of wood.

at 9 weeks old are they isolated from other birds. if the ground was clean ie no birds have been on it for a while then they should not have a massive worm problem.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 08:37:47 pm »
Sorry to hear this. Is it too late to get your vet to PM them?

whitby_sam

• Joined Feb 2008
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2009, 01:51:13 pm »
Lost a further one but got 4 older ones to replace so now have 10. 8 Hens and 2 Cockerills... Just went out to check on them and found our FIRST EGG! We're so excited LOL!

On another note, seeing as we have 2 cockerills can anyone tell me whether I should keep both of them in with the girls, keep one separated from the rest or keep them both away from the girls until I decide to breed? I'm not keen on the idea of sending one to the pot and keeping the other, somehow its not fair so if I can keep them both and maybe make a bit of extra cash by breeding them then I'd be much happier. Any suggestions? Anybody with Maran hens need loan of a Cockerill or two?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2009, 03:08:18 pm »
I don't separate my cockerel from my hens, but you may have a problem with two of them - they may fight.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

whitby_sam

• Joined Feb 2008
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2009, 05:17:45 pm »
Make that 2 eggs!  :farmer:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS