Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Jam help  (Read 6434 times)

Bert

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Isle of Mull
Jam help
« on: August 11, 2013, 08:13:44 am »
I have been very clever this year ( not really, some may say disorganised  :innocent: ) I've been picking all my soft fruit and freezing it. Unfortunately I froze it mixed  ::) . So dose anyone have a jam recipe for mixed summer fruit jam ? If its any help there will be red & black currents, raspberry, tayberry, loganberry, josterberry and gooseberry going into the jam.

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
Re: Jam help
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 08:22:33 am »
1 kg mixed fruit, 1 kg sugar, packet of pectin - leave overnight to draw some juice; boil for 5-10 minutes - bingo!

Works with any fruit, mixed or not.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 08:37:46 am »
I wouldn't use any pectin as most of those fruits have plenty of their own.   I call it 'summer garden jam'.  You can also make jelly from it, using an equal weight of sugar to the pints of juice obtained (1 lb sugar to 1 pint juice)
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2013, 10:01:24 am »
or put it in the slow cooker and go and do something else for a few hours  :excited:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2013, 10:05:21 am »
please help whats a josterberry?

Bert

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Isle of Mull
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2013, 10:32:06 am »
please help whats a josterberry?

They are a cross between black currents and gooseberries  ;D

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2013, 11:37:29 am »
Bert, do you find your jostaberry is a thug, rampaging and taking over all the space?   We had a Worcesterberry, which is the same cross, and eventually we had to take drastic measures to get rid of it.  It never cropped very heavily anyway, just crowded out my other fruit bushes.

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2013, 11:40:23 am »
I wouldn't use any pectin as most of those fruits have plenty of their own.   I call it 'summer garden jam'.  You can also make jelly from it, using an equal weight of sugar to the pints of juice obtained (1 lb sugar to 1 pint juice)

You'll have to cook it for longer, though.

MelRice

• Joined Jun 2011
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2013, 04:37:56 pm »
I always cook off the fruit first then add sugar (or in the case of jelly drain through jelly bag and add sugar) It then only heeds a couple of mins of rapid boil with sugar in and its ready to pot.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2013, 04:43:35 pm »
Bert, do you find your jostaberry is a thug, rampaging and taking over all the space?   We had a Worcesterberry, which is the same cross, and eventually we had to take drastic measures to get rid of it.  It never cropped very heavily anyway, just crowded out my other fruit bushes.
If its a cross between a blackcurrant and a gooseberry then, in my opion, drastic action is the best course for them. Whats worse than a gooseberry? - a blackcurrant  ;D
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2013, 10:32:42 pm »
My jostaberry is going berserk. I really need advice on pruning it. I picked all the fruit the other wekk and tried to make jam in the slow cooker. Sadly I left it for too long and now I have a sort of fruity toffee. Quite nice though.

Bert

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Isle of Mull
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2013, 07:07:05 am »
Thanks for all the advice  :thumbsup:  very helpful. Looking forward to starting my jam making, I've nearly finished harvesting it all.

My jostaberry isn't doing very well, it's about 15 years old.  the person that planted it tried to train it into a fan shape on a fence. So no my jostaberry isn't trying to take over, but like yours it isn't cropping very well. I'm considering getting another one and letting it grow how it is meant to, to see if I can get a better crop out of if.

My jostaberry is going berserk. I really need advice on pruning it. I picked all the fruit the other wekk and tried to make jam in the slow cooker. Sadly I left it for too long and now I have a sort of fruity toffee. Quite nice though.

Prune it in the same way as you would a blackcurrant. As soon as the last fruit is picked. I did my jostaberry & blackcurrant yesterday. I was very nervous , I've never pruned a soft fruit bush before, I had my pruning book by my side. Really hope I get some fruit off them next year  :fc:
I'm liking the sound of fruity toffee  :yum:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2013, 09:23:31 am »

The book I'm currently reading, set in the 15th C, has a line: '.....chewed on a lozenge of quince leather'.
I think fruit leather is like the stuff you produced only firmer, a bit like the blackcurrant pastilles you get for a sore throat.   I have 2 quinces this year - maybe I need to wait a while before I can make my leather  :yum:

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2013, 09:28:11 am »
i feel its only fair to offer

if any of you need guinea pigs to try all these yummy sounding jams i'm available!!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS