Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Why does my homemade mayonnaise go wrong!!  (Read 3851 times)

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
Why does my homemade mayonnaise go wrong!!
« on: October 09, 2009, 11:29:53 pm »
after wasting 6 egg yolks I've admitted defeat and come to ask the professionals... why doesn't it work!!

recipe: 2 egg yolks, splash of white wine vinegar, splash of lemon juice, salt, sugar, mustard powder and cup of groundnut oil... Check

soup blender... check

blend mixture slowly and the speed up until creamy mayonnaise results.... ummm....

yellowy lumpy gloop on your sandwich??

anyone got any tips?
Ian

candpdoyle

• Joined Jul 2009
  • whimple
Re: Why does my homemade mayonnaise go wrong!!
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2009, 08:42:33 am »
 ;)  put all your ingredients except the oil in blender and start it up to make a good base..

add the oil slowly and you will notice the mayo start to thicken..  here is where it can all go wrong :-\
thyere will come a point, usually before you have added all the oil, so the taste is still to acidic where the mixture will need a bit of water.... you will notice there is no more movement in the mayo..... if you keep adding oil without thinning it first it will split... it means your recipe quantities are not quite right

also i find eng mustard works better than the powder

i usually make mine to taste without using a  recipe....  you make nice variations on the mayo once you get to there ;D    red peppers, garlic, chilli, spring onions...    whatever fancy really

Hope that helps

Chris

Norfolk Newby

• Joined Aug 2009
  • West Norfolk, UK
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2009, 03:50:51 pm »
My wifes makes the mayonnaise in our house. So she is the expert rather than me.

A few little tips.

Let all the ingredients rest in the kitchen to come to the same temperature - not hot or cold.

My wife uses sunflower oil. It has no strong flavour, it isn't expensive and makes very nice mayonnaise.

My wife (sorry) uses a small jar (an old jam jar) and a fork to gradually mix the oil into the other ingredients. A pot of mayonnaise takes 10 minutes to prepare once the mixing starts. She uses Dijon mustard in her recipe and fresh eggs. I did read somewhere that stale eggs work better but she feels happier with fresh ones.

I hope you get the process working as home made mayonnaise is lovely.

NN
Novice - growing fruit, trees and weeds

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2009, 11:54:52 pm »
Thanks for your replies. adjusting the recipie a bit and adding a touch of water ended up producung the goods... creamy mayonnaise.

Now to add the flavourings to suit

Mayo heaven.... or hell here we come

Ian

candpdoyle

• Joined Jul 2009
  • whimple
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2009, 08:43:55 am »
 :yum: well done.. a lot of people give up too easily.

Once the science(not very well) is explained it really is easy to make ;D

Chris

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS