Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What to do with derelict wire fence?  (Read 13191 times)

Mad Scientist

• Joined Sep 2013
  • south devon
What to do with derelict wire fence?
« on: October 19, 2013, 08:02:36 pm »
I spent a few hours this afternoon clearing a pile of old fencing that had been left for years and had weeds growing over it. Having now pulled it all loose with the assistance of a small tractor, lots of swearing and a few deep trenches where the tractor wasnt up to the job. Whats the best way of disposing of tangled up sheep/pig netting? My OH says cutting it into 6 ft sections after removing the rotten remains of the old posts and stacking it on the pile of metal for the scrappy when he brings a skip

P.S. Not sure if this is the right section
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 08:07:23 pm by Mad Scientist »

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
Re: What to do with derelict wire fence?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2013, 08:04:05 pm »
rip the posts out then send it for scrap!!!

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2013, 08:56:00 pm »
Yes weigh it in

philcaegrug

• Joined Jul 2012
  • ammanford
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2013, 08:59:55 pm »
+1 weigh it in  :thumbsup:

Mad Scientist

• Joined Sep 2013
  • south devon
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2013, 09:23:24 pm »
Its already destined for the scrapman, along with a reasonable sized pile of random metal including rusty old gates, parts of old vehicles and a very old marine compressor with no engine. I was more after the best way to turn several 20metre lengths of extremely tangled fencing into something manageable that will stack easily. Best get busy with the wire cutters tomorrow.

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2013, 09:33:12 pm »
Roll it up,  or what usually happens is you end up folding it in about 1 m lengths, jump up and down on it to squish it !

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2013, 08:23:39 am »
Yup, fold and squish ;).  Cutting may be necessary too, depening on length.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2013, 08:28:25 am »
Yes - all of the above. Roll, squish, put it on scrappy pile.

If we only have small bits (I think we have finally exorcised the vast majority of our derelict fencing) - I fold it up really small - really really small - and toss it into the metal recycling skip at the recycling centre but they don't like you taking down huge bits because - by rights - it's agricultural waste and therefore incurs a fee.

But if it's small enough for them to turn a blind eye to - they will. :innocent:
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2013, 08:48:32 am »
These days all scrap metal is worth money, so if you've more than a tiny bit it's worth taking to a scrap dealer.

(I know the OP is doing this anyway, it was just for the benefit of others.)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

fifixx

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Shillingstone, Dorset
    • Bere Marsh Farm
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2013, 10:03:28 am »
Scrappies hate wire as it messes up their machinery - so you either have to hide it, be very nice to them or slowly but surely take it bit by bit to the council recycling (and they don't like it either!!)

Mad Scientist

• Joined Sep 2013
  • south devon
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2013, 12:58:03 pm »
Thanks for the advice  :)

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2013, 01:11:44 pm »
Scrappies hate wire as it messes up their machinery - so you either have to hide it, be very nice to them or slowly but surely take it bit by bit to the council recycling (and they don't like it either!!)

The only consolation of this is that the fences of animals fields tend not to be nicked at least, when they are nicking the gates, so at least you have a fence left!

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2013, 07:42:25 pm »
I spent hours and hours cutting up wires from an old fence that I had pulled up from the ground and packing it into a trailer.
It weighed in at the scrappy as 200kg and I got £20 for it.  Considering all the effort it took me I can see why people don't steal fences.  Still, it is better than the alternative which was "dump it in a heap and wait for it to rust away".

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS