Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Scottish Crofters Federation  (Read 2071 times)

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
Scottish Crofters Federation
« on: August 04, 2013, 11:51:13 pm »
anyone had any experience, good, bad or indifferent with the Scottish Crofters Federation?

Considering joining, but after my experience with them at the Black Isle Show last week I'm not so sure but would like to know if anyone here was a member and thought it was worthwhile etc?
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
Re: Scottish Crofters Federation
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 06:59:31 am »
I'm thinking of joining too so would be interested in opinions.

Are you saying you weren't impressed with them at the Black Isle show?

I have their horticulture handbook which is excellent!

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 09:57:58 am »
our local representative Alan Macrae passed away recently so we thought it might be a good idea to seek their tent out at the Black Isle Show to ask them a few questions and to probably sign up but was left feeling rather like a 2nd class crofter!
There were one gentleman who I think was the head honcho Derek Flyn and 2 ladies representing the SCF at the tent. Our 2 main questions were about the SCF produce mark as we produce pork, lamb, mutton and turkey and about how/when they were going to find a replacement for our local representative.
Question 1 was met with the answer "you'd probably be better calling the office, as I can't think off the top of my head" and the 2nd was "oh we'll need to arrange a meeting sometime to discuss likely candidates. Not the best of answers but was the best we were going to get that day.
The biggest disappointment was that while we were discussing the issues, 3 men in suits and some woman with a camera entered the little tent and stood straight in front of us and engaged in a conversation with Derek Flyn, leaving us standing there like a spare part, all the while the woman with the camera tutting every time I tried to remind Mr Flyn that I was still standing there  >:(
In the end we gave up and left without joining but have since written an e-mail to point out to them that we are the very people we thought this scheme was aimed at (local, small scale traditional crofters) and that our treatment that day has left us feeling very disappointed, no response as yet.
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 10:27:39 am »
That's a shame, I see how that would have been frustrating. 

I am fairly new to crofting and in an area where crofters are outnumbered by "proper" farmers so don't know anyone in the area that is a member.  Are most crofters up your way members?

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2013, 10:53:38 am »
no, not many at all as far as I know and the man who people here listen to is no longer with us  :(

the main reason for us to join was the producers mark to promote locally produced food which always goes down well up here. I did purloin a couple of copies of their issue of the 'the crofter' from the tent which I found really good. I will probably end up joining but the old style crofters up here probably won't but we want to diversify and improve on what we're doing at the moment so it would be good to have a link with the SCF but I'm still fuming over their treatment of us but I'll need to "build a bridge and get over it" as my kids say...

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2013, 11:56:47 am »
I sometimes read the "Crofter" magazine online as it is available free there along with loads of backissues and usually find it to be well worth the read.

I was thinking about asking for membership as a christmas present.  Joining is probably be the best way to find out what they are like.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS