Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: MF 135 increasing track width  (Read 5341 times)

Fieldfare

• Joined Feb 2011
MF 135 increasing track width
« on: June 26, 2013, 01:09:23 pm »
...and another one about the MF135! I was thinking of increasing the track-width to almost the maximum (front and rear). Are there any cons with doing this? (topping, cutting, baling). The pro is just that you get more stability? (my fields are gently sloping but I do have flatter turning areas).

cheers :farmer:

Still playing with tractors

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Cumbernauld
  • You can never have enough HP
Re: MF 135 increasing track width
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 01:28:56 pm »
It could possibly change the track compaired to an impliment? how much are you looking to change it by?

otherwise try double rear wheels if you can find them ££££

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 03:01:50 pm »
The reason for being able to alter widths is so the tractor can be altered to fit up different row widths, or to suit ploughing.  A side effect obviously is that the wider they are the greater the stability.  Another side effect is that the wider you do the hevier the steering becomes... dont ask me why, its just an observation from experience.  The 'normal' widest width comonly used  is 60" as this was correct for potatoe rows.  I wouldnt go any wider than that for everyday use.  Better if you have a real stability issue to take up previous suggestion of double wheels. Easy to to because special adaptor bolts can still be purchase new, an extra set of wheels can then just be bolted on when required.  It all obviously costs money.

Changing wheel track widths is damned hard work , ive done it quite a few times as i have my favorite tractor set for potatoe rows, but then sometimes (once a year) take it to a ploughing match.  Most farmers in the seventies and eightys moved to 2 tractors one set at each width,  but my dad used to recall altering wheel widths a couple of times a day to suit operations in his early days on the farm when they only had one........but then they made him milk on his wedding day !

Rob the farmer

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2014, 09:26:45 pm »
How do you change the back wheels round to 60" from 30" spacing. What hubs and wheel direction do we need to change

UPoneacre

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Llanidloes, Powys
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 07:18:22 pm »
FWIW our Fergie is currently set to 60" track, i.e. 8" inches wider than standard setting, and I can feel the difference on the steering on uneven ground - greater effort needed. That said we also have a sloping field and I feel a bit happier with the wider track when turning across slope but that might be an illusion :D

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2014, 07:28:59 pm »
No it's physics

UPoneacre

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Llanidloes, Powys
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2014, 07:54:51 pm »
No, me being happier is definitely not physics ;D

Odin

• Joined Oct 2011
  • Huddersfield
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2014, 08:55:02 pm »
The rear wheel is in two parts ; The Rim (bit with tyre in). The Dish or Centre (plate in middle that mounts to hub).

The two are bolted together to form the wheel. By un-bolting the Rim from the Dish, you will notice the bolts are a good 5 inch in length, because the Rim can be bolted either side of Dish. Also the dish can be dished in or out.

For the narrowest track setting, Dish in with Rim bolted to inner side. I am interested as to why you want a 30" track ? Sounds like a requirement for a vine yard tractor.
Traditional tractors of the MF135 era are usually set to 56".
Obviously the front axle is moved on the beam to suit. Loads of CD manuals on E-bay for MF100 series.
A man who cannot till the soil cannot till his own soul !
A son of the soil .

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS