Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: House Flies!!!  (Read 7646 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: House Flies!!!
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2013, 09:10:23 pm »
No more than usual here but they are the only reason I ever put out sticky fly papers.  I hate the slow ones which fly around your face and get in your eyes.  The huge ones appear through the walls when a mouse has died in the attic - you can fill up a whole fly paper with one hatching  :roflanim:
I also encourage spiders - they're not so good at catching the giant flies, but great for smaller ones and for daddy long legs.  Also provide hours of entertainment  :innocent:

The next few days are forecast to be more humid and less windy so we will probably have loads then.  I've got big reserves of sticky fly papers at the ready.   And Crovect too of course as the sheep will be bothered by flies too.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2013, 09:19:26 pm »
Our fly exterminator had a working light but the electrodes didn't have any voltage. Bought a cheap replacement from Aldi and it broke in a few weeks. Went to the DIY store and they wanted silly money. So we bought a 'Destructeur des Insects' for €24 from ebay.fr. The 20W version had far better reviews than the 30W so that's what we got. Fantastic! Kills everything with a real crack and works in the daytime. Only problem is the lights are rather bright and it keeps our pet cockerel awake. We empty the corpse tray onto the path in the morning- breakfast for the lizards.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2013, 10:02:24 pm »
Not too many flies in the house. I think they are all in the goats shed tbh.

ferretkeeper

• Joined May 2013
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Brecon View Farm
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2013, 08:21:40 am »
Big buggers here too, they're tormenting me right now! I can't escape outside and work out there cos of the midgies, occasional horseflies and swarms of tiny weenie flies that hang around any water on the ground, where animals spill, tap drips etc although they don't bite or anything.

The cats's think it's great sport flinging themselves at the windows and give them their dues they are catching some flies for me, just as well.

BUT the worst thing I'm struggling with here is fleas  :o never had such a problem ever and only on the cats, nothing on the dogs. This house has tiny windows so poor airflow, it's obviously got warm and humid and they're loving it. Upstairs is always hotter than downstairs and it's all carpet up there, makes me want to rip it all up! Poor cats have been frontlined as often as allowed, then flea powdered with DE, and I've treated the carpets with the same. Got a flea bomb to try later, and sent for a different spot on thing, the frontline doesn't seem effective now, hope it arrives before it gets really out of hand  >:(
breconviewfarm.co.uk Rare breed, free range.

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2013, 09:43:50 am »
Oooh poor you. Been there. Not nice at all.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2013, 09:55:58 am »

BUT the worst thing I'm struggling with here is fleas  :o never had such a problem ever and only on the cats, nothing on the dogs. This house has tiny windows so poor airflow, it's obviously got warm and humid and they're loving it. Upstairs is always hotter than downstairs and it's all carpet up there, makes me want to rip it all up! Poor cats have been frontlined as often as allowed, then flea powdered with DE, and I've treated the carpets with the same. Got a flea bomb to try later, and sent for a different spot on thing, the frontline doesn't seem effective now, hope it arrives before it gets really out of hand  >:(
We had to give up with Frontline as the vet said some fleas are now resistant to it.  We use Advocate, only available on prescription, but it works.  The benefit is that we can use it on the ferret too.
And yes we have hundreds of flippin' flies too :(.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2013, 09:24:42 pm »
All I have in our sitting room is one huge bluebottle driving me mad. Plenty of midges outside though.  :(

gerpsych

• Joined May 2012
  • Gwynedd
  • The beatings will continue until morale improves
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2013, 12:37:09 pm »
They have been terrible here this year too. We have gone back in time and invested in fly papers. I hate the idea of sprays in the house and breathing in, or eating, the insecticide. Mind you, having a strip of sticky tape festooned with fly carcases  is not the most pleasing sight in the kitchen or living room (But is does mean you don't get the fly cemetery on the window sill)

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2013, 02:38:53 pm »
I know I am not the only TAS member who thought it a good idea to put fly paper in the hen shed  :innocent:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2013, 04:17:55 pm »
Maybe I should get some for the goats.

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2013, 08:49:23 pm »
I must admit that after living in Scotland over the past 4 years we hardly notice the midges down here - but the horseflies are making a right meal out of us  :o
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS