Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheep with Sciatica??  (Read 2824 times)

sjconnon

• Joined Jul 2013
Sheep with Sciatica??
« on: July 11, 2013, 03:43:48 am »
I have a three year old ewe that was near full term and was chased by a dog.  She fell down and couldn't stand up again.

Her back legs are moving and she can drag herself along but can't seem to get her back legs to work properly.

She gave birth to triplets three days ago but still can't walk.

Any suggestions on how to help her get back on her feet would be really appreciated.

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
Re: Sheep with Sciatica??
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 06:52:16 am »
I'd get the vet to examine her. She could perhaps do with some painkillers/anti inflammatories. Probably wrenched something. How on earth are the babies feeding and how successfully can she wee? Can she stand but not walk, is that the case? Poor girl.

funkyfish

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Devon
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 07:08:13 am »
She could have partially slipped a disc or other neuro prob, or put her pelvis out a bit. Vet check defo the way to go as she will soon loose a lot of muscle which will make it hard to get her right again. Walking funny will put other areas of her body out etc.
Old and rare breed Ducks, chickens, geese, sheep, guinea pigs, 3 dogs, 3 cats, husband and chicks brooding in the tv cabinate!

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 12:13:59 pm »
+ 1 prompt treatment to reduce inflammation may well reduce the long term potential for damage.
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 02:06:35 pm »
Vet asap.

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2013, 10:33:47 pm »
What area are you?  If the vet is not optimistic, I  have a brilliant osteopath who also treats animals - she was a professional shepherd before a career change.  PM me if you would like her details.

sjconnon

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2013, 02:02:05 am »
I'd get the vet to examine her. She could perhaps do with some painkillers/anti inflammatories. Probably wrenched something. How on earth are the babies feeding and how successfully can she wee? Can she stand but not walk, is that the case? Poor girl.

Thanks for the advise.  Vet said to give aspirin.

Triplets all died at birth.  She is standing up to wee and is walking a bit better.

Thanks for your help and advise.

sjconnon

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2013, 02:04:54 am »
What area are you?  If the vet is not optimistic, I  have a brilliant osteopath who also treats animals - she was a professional shepherd before a career change.  PM me if you would like her details.

I am in New Zealand, so a bit far for your osteo. LOL.

I have been massaging her and giving anti inflammatories so hope she improves soon :)

Alicenz

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2013, 11:56:43 am »
Hi SJ Im in NZ too.  Did the vet give you injectable anti inflam?  I saw the other day a horse/ animal healer offering osteopath services here in the south, so they are available.   More so around Auck area though I think.  They may even just be able to advise you what to do.  Good luck.

Granny A

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2013, 11:33:58 am »
Prop her up between bales. There are sheep phisios, ask your vet. Metacam might help, works on people and dogs.

Alicenz

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2013, 11:38:35 am »
How is your sheep going SJ? 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS